Trois

New short chapter, hope you like regardless. 

~A

“Miss Hargrove? How are you feeling? You took quite the spill earlier.”

A bright light shined in my eyes and I quickly closed them again when they watered because of the sudden brightness.

I tried sitting up, but the perky blonde with a wide toothy grin and hospital scrubs firmly pushed me down again. I huffed out my frustration.

“Not so fast Miss Hargrove. We want you to just lie down for a while, you  fainted and remained unconscious for longer than we’d like so I just want to run some extra tests and make sure that you and baby are healthy.”

My heart skipped a beat when she said that, was my little peanut okay? As if reading my mind she answered.

“Preliminary tests show that the baby is healthy and growing strong, so far you have nothing to worry about. If that changes, I’ll let you know as soon as possible.” 

“Thank you Doc. When can I go home?”I asked uneasily. I hated hospitals, the strong smells that always permeated through the air, the cold feeling down my back and arms every time I walked into the rooms. I shivered involuntarily, I really didn’t like hospitals.

“Probably as soon as tomorrow morning, I’d like to observe you overnight, and if everything goes well, you’ll be free to leave tomorrow morning.” She smiled at me again. I felt myself relax and fall against the pillows.

“Oh, you also have a visitor, she’s been by your side non-stop. Would you like me to get her for you?” she asked me.

“Oh Rach? Yes please.” I pleaded with her. As much as I liked my doctor, I wanted Rachel to be with me, she was my family just as much as my Peanut was.

A few minutes later, I felt the familiar loud presence of my amazing best friend and I couldn’t help the wide grin that suddenly crossed my lips.

“Oh honey, how are you? How’s baby?” she asked, feeling my forehead and my stomach at the same time.

“Doc says everything is fine. She just wants me to stay overnight as a precaution.”

“Good, I’m glad.” Rachel responded.

“What happened out there Regan?” she asked me again.

“I, I don’t know. The air just became too heavy and I couldn’t breathe. And then that’s when I felt myself passing out, until I woke up and here I am.”

She tsked out of worry, she was concerned for my well being and for Peanuts’.

“It’s because you saw him again isn’t it?”

“I, I yes. I felt him and it unnerved me.” I replied sadly.

“I know honey, I’m so sorry.” She said again.

“I told him.”

“You told him what Rachel?” I asked slightly nervous.

“I told him about the baby.”

“What?! Why?! I wasn’t sure I wanted him to know just yet.” I replied a little hysterically.

“I know, but he was there and he was acting self-righteous while you were passed out, he needed to know that it was part of his fault. He accepts no responsibility.”she responded angrily.

“Well, what did we expect? He’s Philip Rylancourt, he has everything he could possibly want or need. The last thing he needs is a baby with some stranger he had sex with once. I had no expectations about him doing the right thing. I just wanted him to know about the baby, for Peanut’s sake, not his.”

“So what’s the plan now Regan?”

“I don’t know, I guess we’ll just have to play it by ear.” I replied resigned.

>>>> 

“Philip! Philip over here, I have a question.” Philip was surrounded by reporters asking him questions and taking hundreds of pictures of him. He was in a panel with the press discussing his current album. He turned to his left and found the reporter who had caught his attention.

“Yes?”

“Can you shed any light on the current rumor that has risen to the surface about you?” asked the bald headed over weight reporter.

“And what rumor is that?”

“That you impregnated a woman that you met at a bar.”He asked arrogantly, a smile touching his lips. The reporter got the attention that he was hoping for because Philip instantly became nervous and as soon as the rest of the room heard the word impregnate the room became a blinding light of flashes and microphones in his face, bombarding him with questions.

“Who is she?”

“How far along is she?”

“What’s her name?”

“Are you going to help with the baby?”

The questions became too much for him, he was there to promote his new album not feed into the media frenzy.

“I don’t know where you got your information, but that rumor is just that a rumor, there is no basis to it, just another crazy fan trying to piggyback on my fame. Now, if there are no more questions about my album, I’ll excuse myself.” He got up from the table that he had been sitting at and started to walk out.

“It’s not just rumor, I have a video here of a woman saying you got her friend pregnant.”

Philip turned around and saw the smug bastard looking at him, baiting him and Philip falling exactly into the trap the reporter laid out.

“What video?”

The reporter walked up to him and took out his Iphone, moved some buttons until he found the video he was talking about. It was grainy and dark, but the message was clear.

“What happened? Did she take anything? Is she allergic to anything?” asked a paramedic.

“She just fainted, I don’t know. She hasn’t taken anything, and no she isn’t allergic to anything. She’s pregnant though.” Rachel said to them nervously.

 “Would you like to ride with her?” the paramedic asked again.

“No I’ll follow you in my car.”

The paramedic nodded, and then closed the doors to the truck before turning on the lights and sirens and speeding off.

“Are you coming?” Rachel asked Phillip.

“No. I hope your friend gets well though.” He said sheepishly before entering the club again.

“Asshole.” Rachel muttered after him.

The small clip ended, someone had heard this exchange between them and recorded it all. The noise of the place made it hard to hear the video but everything was still understandable. The smug reporter looked at him waiting for any kind of confirmation about the video, but Philip wasn’t going to continue to give him the satisfaction. He abruptly turned around and this time, truly walked out, letting the rest of the paparazzi pester him with questions about the newest piece of gossip that was surely going to be in the media for the next few days.