Épilogue

SEVERAL WEEKS LATER.

Philip and I were seated on the couch, waiting for Detective Yancy to show up. We were finally going to learn some answers from that fateful night that had impacted so many. Philip was holding Sadie when suddenly the doorbell rang. We turned in the direction of the door and stood up as Detective Yancy was escorted in by Dimitri.

"I see you have not dropped your security protocols." Yancy replied slightly amused. Philip shrugged.

"I don't want to take any more chances." He said as he hugged me to his side and kissed my cheek. I felt myself blush slightly.

"Come on in detective, have a seat." He motioned to the couch.

"Thank you. Well folks, I guess I should just get down to the heart of the matter. We were able to capture Michael, er Alyssa Connelly's accomplices."

"How?" I asked in wonder, I had thought that they'd be in the wind by now.

"We went back to her apartment, and we were able to piece together a lot of information. She kept extensively detailed records of everything she did, said, who were partners were, what they did and said, and so on. She was a mastermind of a criminal." He replied. His tone conveyed something of awe, as if he had been impressed by her.

"What else did you find out?" Philip asked.

"It seems like she blackmailed all of her co-conspirators into doing her dirty work. Do you know a Camille Shaw?" he asked Philip. Philip's eyes conveyed annoyance at the question.

"Yes, I do. What about her?"

"She was an accomplice, apparently, Ms. Connelly was blackmailing Ms. Shaw because of a sex tape that she didn't want her father to discover?" he looked through his notes and looked at Philip questioningly.

"Yeah, I could see why she wouldn't want that to get out. Her father is Howard Shaw, of the Shaw's Country Club of Los Angeles. He would have disowned her immediately if word had gotten out. I wonder what he thinks of her now?" Yancy nodded and whistled in surprise. The Shaw family was known for being tremendously wealthy and having multiple country clubs to their name across the US.

"What about Sergei?" I asked him with curiosity.

"Well, he was a little tougher to figure out, but we investigated some more and came to the conclusion that Sergei was just in it for the money. Apparently Ms. Connelly was paying him triple what you were paying him."

"Seriously? Wow. That's disturbing." Philip said to me regretfully.

"He didn't hurt us, we're okay." I reassured him as I held onto him a little tighter.

"The small blonde who broke in and out of your house a few times was also on Ms. Connelly's payroll, but in a different way. She posted the blonde's bail, what is her name? I keep forgetting to write it down. Anyway, Ms. Connelly posted her bail and threatened to revoke it, if she didn't comply."

"Wow. I didn't realize how Alyssa had inserted herself so much into my life." He replied again. Yancy nodded, and cleared his throat. An awkward silence came over him.

"There is one other matter." He pulled out a note from his pocket and hesitated, before he handed it over to Philip.

Philip took the note from Yancy and drew a deep breath, what would this mysterious note reveal after everything that had happened?

To whoever is reading this,

I want to start off by saying I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't be stronger, I'm sorry that I let my obsession get the best of me. Philip was truly the only man I have ever loved, even when he stopped loving me, I never stopped loving him. I couldn't imagine being in a world without him in my life, so I chose the coward's way out. If you're reading this, it's because I did it. I finally accomplished my ultimate goal. Philip and I are finally together, away from this world where we have never belonged. If you have found us together, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to put you out. Anyway, there is one other thing you can do for me. You can find out the truth about my daughter, because I know that she didn't die the night my mother claimed she did. Please find her, and when you do, tell her that her mama loved her, more than life itself.