Neuf

"Damn it! I hate being made to look like a damn fool. I can't talk about her without risking looking like an asshole, but these lies that she keeps spreading are making things worse for me, they're ruining my chances of getting an easy lay. All of the women that I've slept with this past week have tried to get me to not use protection with them, I can't have conniving women try to trick me, I won't have it. I'm just not sure how to go from here." Philip was currently doing what he was best at, which was pacing and whining and whining and pacing. Michael just looked over at him and rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Sir, I'm not sure that you can do anything at this point, except to wait until the baby is born." Michael said doubtfully.

"Wait? You want me to wait until, that that thing is born? What is the matter with you Michael? I can't wait for the baby to be born. That's too long, my social life simply couldn't handle it." He replied nonchalantly.

"You're not going to force that poor woman to perform a prenatal dna test are you?" Michael asked, slightly horrified.

"I sure am! That bitch isn't going to be lying about me just because she wants to, she's going to pay for all of the nonsense she has been saying about me."

"And if something bad happens to the baby?" Michael asked quietly.

"Then so be, it's not my problem. It'll solve all my problems." Philip replied callously. This man needed serious help, he was a complete asshole.

Michael was horrified that the man he had come to work for, for many years was finally displaying his true colors. He was an awful human being.

"I need you to set up another meeting with Jacobs. I need to plan my next course of action." He said to Michael, essentially dismissing him.

"Very well sir." Michael replied through gritted teeth.

A few days later...

"Mmm, let's go get something to eat, I'm starving!" Rachel said dramatically.

"And go eat where Rachel, my feet hurt, I feel like I've been standing for years instead of for only a few minutes." I replied, plopping down on my couch. I was so tired and I couldn't figure out why.

"Panda Express!"

"Pass."

"Panera Bread?"

"Ugh, nope."

"In N Out?" Rachel asked hopefully.

"Ooh that sounds delicious, alright. Let's go."

"Yes!" she replied excitedly.

What can I say? We love our burgers. We got up and quickly left the house. I guess a breath of fresh air would do us some good.

"Mmmm, oh yeah. This is delicious." Rachel moaned audibly.

"Ugh Rachel, can you not? You know how grossed out I get when you moan as you eat. It's weird." I said squeamishly. I was a silent eater, I hated people who enjoyed their food too loudly.

"Party pooper." Rachel replied, sticking her tongue out at me.

"Whatever, just eat. But quietly." We resumed our eating and sat in silence as we enjoyed our food.

"Regan Hargrove?" A tall, well built, strange man approached me, it unnerved me slightly because he wasn't familiar to me.

"Who wants to know?" Rachel asked.

"I'm just trying to do my job, sorry."

"What job?" I asked confused.

"Here, you've been served." He handed me a thick envelope with my name on the front. Then just as quickly as he appeared, he disappeared too.

"What the hell?" Rachel and I looked around to no avail, the stranger was gone.

"You've been served by who?"Rachel made a move to take the envelope, but I snatched my hand away and opened it myself.

I quickly scanned its contents and I gasped audibly, he'd actually done it. He hadn't been bluffing.

"It's from Philip, he's suing me for defamation and slander." I said choking on my words slightly.

"What the f.." Rachel stopped herself.

"Are you serious? That little weasel." She continued angrily.

"What am I going to do Rachel? I don't have money to afford a lawyer. What if I lose? What then? Oh my goodness. I should've just kept my mouth shut, what am I going to do?" I said quickly, feeling my breath hitch in my throat. I felt like I couldn't breathe, the air was being sucked out of my lungs too quickly. I started taking larger and larger gulps of air in, but to no avail. I just couldn't seem to catch my breath.

"Regan! Regan breathe! I need some help over here!" Rachel screamed out to anyone who could here us.

I clutched at my throat uselessly, trying to breathe in and out, but nothing was helping. My pulse spiked, getting faster and faster with each beat. I couldn't get myself to breathe. I felt myself wanting to pass out.

"Regan, Regan breathe, you're fine. Remember your baby. Your baby needs oxygen too. Count with me Regan. One. Two. Three. Four. Five.." The soothing familiar manly scent drifted up my nostrils. Whose smell was that? Why did it smell familiar? I listened to the voice and counted with him.

"One. Two. Three. Four. Five.." I felt myself calming down. I felt my pulse slow to a normal rhythm and my breathing became less labored. I opened my eyes unaware that I had closed them and looked up to the voice that was currently helping me to calm down.

"How are you feeling Rachel?"

"Dr. Robert's, what're you doing here?" I asked him confused. I looked around quickly, yep I was still at In N Out.

"Well, believe it or not, doctor's take breaks too, and currently I'm on my lunch break."

"Oh, that makes sense." I replied sheepishly, I felt a blush crawl up my neck.

"Are you okay now, Regan? It looks like you gave your friend quite a scare there." Dr. Mark nodded in Rachel's direction. I turned and saw that my poor friend had visibly turned pale.

"I'm so sorry hon, I froze. I didn't know what to do." She replied sadly.

"It's okay Rachel, really. I'm fine now."

"Is she really doc?" she asked him, in the usual Rachel voice she used on everybody.

"It seems so, you were hyperventilating. You were experiencing an anxiety attrack. Did something happen to trigger it, or have you been experiencing those lately?" He asked concerened.

"No I don't have anxiety attacks. In fact, this is probably the first one I've ever had." I replied

"Okay, but just to be on the safe side, will you come to my office so I can check you out, make sure that things are okay?" he asked me sincerely.

"No, no Dr. Robert's really, I'm fine now. That's really not necessary." I said, now feeling embarrassed by my outburst.

"Please. For my peace of mind." He insisted. I looked up at him, and admired his gorgeous face, it had to be illegal to be so good looking. I snapped out of my train of thought and grudgingly nodded.

"Okay, if you insist." I replied resigned.

"Oh I do, believe me. Let's go then. No time like the present." Rachel and I grabbed our things and followed Dr. Roberts outside. He wasn't kidding, that man truly meant, there's no time like the present.

Rachel and I got into her car and Dr. Robert's went into his, then just as quickly, he sped away and we followed him.

"Come in. Come in, If you could please lift your shirt. We can start the exam quickly." Dr. Roberts said in a professional manner. We had arrived at his office, where he told his secretary to push back his next few appointments and we followed him into an exam room. Then he proceeded to check on Peanut and make sure everything was okay..