Vingt-six

THE NEXT MORNING

"Can you believe Mark Roberts is dead?" I asked Rach as we were seated having breakfast, while Sadie was in my arms nursing. I had invited Rachel over because I needed her company, the news about Mark was devastating, I needed my friend in moments like these. She always cheered me up.

"No, does Philip have any new information than what he told you?"

"Apparently, police checked security footage and the person who ran out of the room where Mark was found, looked eerily similar to the person who had attacked me at the hospital, so they called Philip and asked him about his version of that night's events. They're supposed to come talk with me today, so maybe I'll learn something new."

"What on earth is going on?" she asked more to herself than to me.

"The police still seem to think that the person behind our attacks is someone who knows us, but Rachel, I honestly don't know who is doing this. I didn't realize that someone hates us so much."

"Don't worry hon, the police will find out who is responsible for all of this mess. You'll see."

"I hope you're right Rach, I hope they catch this person before they cause any more harm." I replied, as I clutched my daughter closer to me.

"So, how are things with Phil?" she grinned slightly, as she bit down on a piece of watermelon.

"I'm so confused about him Rach."

"Why?" she asked.

"Because, I want him." I reddened slightly.

"Why don't you tell him?"

"Because Rach, everything would go so wrong if it didn't work out between us. Not to mention, my daughter would be affected, I don't want risk messing everything up, and then Sadie would be the one to suffer, I don't want that. But, it's different with Philip when he kisses me. I feel tingles all over my body, I feel my heart pound in my chest and I lose my breath. Don't get me wrong, Malcolm is an excellent kisser, his kisses are sweet and comforting.."

"But Philip's make you feel butterflies all over?" Rachel guessed.

"Exactly, but I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't tell Philip, at least not right now."

"And Malcolm?" she asked.

"I think it might be time for Malcolm and I to talk."

...

LATER THAT DAY

I was sitting in the kitchen nursing my sweet baby girl when my phone began to ring. I almost ignored it, before I read that it was Malcolm calling me.

"Hello Malcolm."

"Regan, how are you? How is Sadie?" he asked.

"We're both doing very well, thank you. How are you?" I asked him. This casual conversation between us, was one of the reasons I liked Malcolm, nothing ever had to be forced with him, we didn't have to fill empty silences with meaningless chatter. We continued talking on the phone for a little longer, at which point he asked me to dinner for tomorrow night and I said yes. So tomorrow I would see Malcolm after not having seen him for a couple of weeks. It would be an interesting night for the both of us.

A little later, as I sat in the living room reading to my baby, Philip came in, Dimitri and Sergei behind him. They all had similar looks of worry, annoyance and anger all combined into one.

"What's going on?" I asked him, as I told myself not to worry just yet.

"The guys just told me their findings about the break in. Turns out, we were right, someone has been watching us." He replied angrily.