Treize (1)

"This is exciting, I'm so glad that everyone knows the truth about Philip." Rachel said to me the next morning as we were sitting down having breakfast.

"I am too, but mostly, I'm relieved that all of this nonsense and fighting is over." I replied contentedly.

"Ahh, Philip's face yesterday was absolute gold, serves him right for being an asshole." Rachel grinned happily.

"Rach, please, you know that's not what I wanted." I replied passively.

"I know, believe me, I know you want to live in a world with sunshine and rainbows, but I'm sorry Regan, out in the real world, life isn't like that." She said.

"I know, but I can try to make Peanut's life like that."

"You're right, I'm sorry for being immature, but Philip deserves it,"

"Regardless, we're not going to teach Peanut that."

"No, you're right, we're not." Rachel said, giving up on her weak arguments.

"So what do you think you're having?" she asked me curiously.

"I don't know. I wouldn't mind having a boy or a girl. I would love my child endlessly."

"I know that, but aren't you the least bit curious to know what it is?"

"Of course I am, but I think I want to wait. I want to let myself be surprised."

"Have you thought of any names?"

"Yes.."

"And..?"

"And what?"

"And tell me, why are you being so secretive?" Rachel asked me, whilst sticking her tongue out at me.

"Well I want it to be a surprise for you too."

"Regan, what kind of baloney is that? You have to tell me, I'm your bff." She replied a bit miffed.

"I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want you to be surprised, that's all. Please just be patient Rach. Please?"

"Ugh, alright, if I must." She stuck her tongue out at me again.

"Love you." I replied with a smile on my face.

"Yeah yeah." She rolled her eyes in mock annoyance.

As we continued to chat, there was a firm knock on the door. Rachel looked at me questioningly and I looked at her just as confused, so she went to see who was at our door so early. She opened it and to our confused surprise, Philip was in our doorway.

"What are you doing here?" Rachel said to him, narrowing her eyes at him in annoyance.

"I came to talk to Regan, is she here?"

"No, she's.."

"It's fine Rach, he can come in."

She begrudgingly let him pass and pointed him to our living room.

"I'll be in my room, just yell if you need me." Rachel said fiercely, as she walked down the hall into her room. I loved this girl's loyalty.

"Thanks."

"Sit down." I said to Philip as soon as Rachel was out of ear shot.

"So, what brings you to my neck of the woods?" I asked without preamble.

"Straight to the point, good, I'm hoping this will be civil."

"What are you talking about?" I asked suddenly confused. I sat down, I suddenly felt an icy dread wash over me.

"Well, now that my paternity has been established I feel we should discuss what's in the best interest of the child." He corrected himself. "My child."

The icy dread got worse.

"Okay, and according to you, what would that be?" I replied nervously.

"As soon as the baby is born, I plan on taking complete custody of my child." He replied nonchalantly.

"What?!" I screeched, loudly enough to deafen my ears, Rachel no doubt trying to eavesdrop burst out of her room as soon as I cried out.

"What's wrong?" she asked me quickly, she noticed the fresh tears that were threatening to run down my face.

"I merely told Regan that it is in MY child's best interest to stay with me when it's born. I'm petitioning for full custody." He repeated again.

"You son of a bitch!" Rachel walked up to Philip and slapped him right across the face, the sound quieting us all in that moment.

"How dare you?! You fought with Regan for weeks, months even, claiming that her baby wasn't yours, now suddenly you want to take her baby away? What the hell is wrong with you?!" she screamed in his face.

I grabbed her arm and pulled her back before she lost it and attacked him, even though at this moment in time he deserved it.

"How dare I? Are you serious? I have the means to take care of a child, what does Regan have? She doesn't even own a car." He said viciously.

"You didn't even want the baby." She said again.

"Why are you doing this Philip? Are you trying to get back at me?" I asked him quietly.

"No, believe it or not Regan, this time it's not about you, it's about the baby. I can take care of the baby, give it everything it needs. Besides, it's not like I won't let you near the baby. You can be with the baby, on the supervised scheduled days that the courts allot." He replied, completely serious.

"What?! You stupid son of a bitch!" Rachel said again, ready to fire slap two, against my better judgment, I held her back.

"You need to leave Philip." I replied sadly.

"But we aren't finished talking about this Regan." He replied, a small whine tinging his voice.

"Get out." I looked at him square in the face as I said this. If he didn't leave in the next second I was going to let go of Rachel.

"Fine, I'm leaving. But we're not done talking about this." He walked out of the house quickly, avoiding Rachel's crazed flaying arms.

"Why didn't you let me slap him again?" she asked angrily.

"That's not going to solve anything Rachel, and at the moment, I need my friend."

My voice cracked tremendously as I said friend. She enveloped me in a hug and let me cry my eyes out, this couldn't be happening. Philip couldn't be doing this to me..