Vingt cinq

"After this, I'm done. Regan and Philip don't deserve this, they don't deserve what you're doing to them." Mark paced back and forth. He was a in a small room with Stranger as Stranger looked upon him. The room only had one desk in the corner and it had shelves full of medical supplies on the other wall.

"Believe Mark. After this you will cease to be useful to me." Stranger replied hauntingly. He moved his finger along the edge of the desk as He stared at Mark with soulless eyes, Mark felt a shiver run along his spine.

"What do you mean?" He asked warily, as he felt a bead of sweat form on his forehead. He felt his heart begin to race.

"I mean, you've given me all of the information on Regan and her spawn, so I have no use for you anymore." He said again.

Stranger continued to stare at Mark, all the while, He slinked closer to him, and Mark moved back a step, suddenly very nervous about Stranger's nearness.

"Oh Dr. Roberts, why are you so nervous?" Stranger asked with a glint in his eye. He lifted his arm and raised a hand to Mark's cheek.

Mark flinched and sank back further until he felt the sudden cold surface of the wall behind him. He gazed up at Stranger and he felt his pulse quicken. His palms began to sweat.

"What is it you want from me?" Mark gulped, like the coward he was.

Stranger ran a finger down Mark's cheek, and then he turned a steely eye to him.

"Nothing. You and I are done." Stranger replied, Mark let loose the breath that he didn't realize he'd been holding. And then suddenly all too quickly, he felt a searing pain in his abdomen. He looked down and saw crimson.

"Wh...why?" he gasped. Genuinely confused by his fate.

"I'm tying up loose ends, frankly, you cost me more than you were worth." Stranger pulled out the knife that He had lodged in Mark's stomach and again stabbed him once more.

Mark's eyes bulged slightly, and he felt his body start to sway.

"Thanks again for all your help." Stranger said cheerfully, then to Mark's distaste and astonishment, Stranger kissed his lips softly and once more felt one last stabbing pain in his abdomen.

Mark felt the last dregs of life leaving him as his body slumped to the ground and he felt his eyes close, he heard the last words of the person who had killed him, before his last breath left him.

"Moron." Stranger whispered and let the knife clatter to the floor before he hurried out of the room they were in. He closed the door behind Him and stealthily made His way out of the hospital.

...

A FEW DAYS LATER..

Can I feed her this time?" Philip asked me bashfully. He and I were in his living room as I was getting ready to give Sadie her bottle.

"Sure." I said to him as I handed him the baby. She cooed at him as I placed her in the warm nook of his arms.

"Hello baby girl, are you hungry? Daddy has some food for you, well, food that came from your mama anyway." He said more to himself than to the baby, who was just sleepily opening and closing her eyes.

I watched as he held her with great care and how he stared dreamily down at her. He was so in love with their daughter, Regan could see it very clearly on his face. How was it that the big bad movie star who fought with me every step of the way was a big ole softy with his daughter in his hands? I smiled up at them and felt a stirring in my heart. Philip looked up and caught me staring at them, he gazed at me longing? Love? I wasn't sure, but I felt his gaze deep within my bones, it made me shiver and it made me think of the kiss we shared a few days before. Philip stood up as soon as he finished feeding Sadie and set her back in crib. He kissed her lovingly on her cheek and covered her snugly, then he turned and stared back at me. I felt my pulse quicken. He walked towards me and I felt like the prey to his predator. I stood still as he approached me and then suddenly he was standing in front of me and I stared at him.