Vingt quatre

I woke up suddenly as I blew out a harsh breath. What in the world? What was it that had startled me awake? I sat up in my bed and breathed in and out, my heart felt like it was at the beginning stages of wanting to race. I willed myself to calm down.

"Ooh, what is..ow! What the.. Ow! Philllllip!!!!" I screamed out suddenly. I felt a sense of panic wash over me.

It was a few days after the baby shower, and I was sleeping in my room alone. The past few days had been so stressful, that I just needed to let myself rest so that peanut wouldn't feel my stress. Right now though, something was wrong. I was feeling pain that I haven't felt before. A few moments later, Philip burst through my door, Dimitri and Sergei on his heels. He had a look of alarm on his face.

"Regan? What is it? What's wrong?" he looked around my room for any sign of an intruder or anything out of the ordinary. Dimitri and Sergei echoed his movements.

"The baby.. Something is wrong with the baby." I gasped out. I clutched my stomach as I felt another gasping pain.

"Oh ow!" I said harshly. Philip ran to my side and felt my forehead, then my tummy. He gulped harshly, his face paled in uneasiness.

"Call an ambulance. Now!" He yelled out to the guard nearest him.

I continued to yell out in pain, as I felt my anxiety heighten. What was wrong with Peanut? The baby couldn't possibly be ready to come out, it was still a month too early. Philip held me in his arms as we waited for the ambulance to arrive. We shared a look of silent prayer and hoped that our child would be okay.

...

"Caucasian female, twenty-five years of age, approximately 35 weeks pregnant. She's in distress and looks to be in the early stages of preterm labor." The medic who had arrived at Philip's house was wheeling me in through the hospital doors, my pain was worsening and I kept clutching my stomach as I struggled to breath out.

"Philip!" I called out to him as he ran to my side.

"Sir, you have to step back and let us help your wife." A nurse said to him suddenly.

"I have to go with her, please." He said to her, she just pushed him back and then they wheeled me away through the rest of the doors.

...

"How is she?!" Rachel asked him as she ran around the corner. Rachel had raced to the hospital, after Philip had called her to her that Regan was being driven there by ambulance.

"I don't know. No one will answer my questions!" he screamed out frustratingly.

"She'll be okay. Regan is a fighter. You'll see." She reassured him. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him fiercely.

They stayed that way for a few minutes until suddenly, they heard the annoying clicks and flashes of photos being taken. They turned and suddenly were swarmed with paparazzi.

"Philip! Philip! Is this your newest friend?"

"What's your name? Are you folks in love?"

"Where is Regan Hargrove?"

"Has she been admitted here?"

"Is that why you're here? She's in labor?"

"Who are you miss?"

"What's your name?'

"Philip! Philip!"

The photographers and news crews peppered he and Rachel with questions. Philip grabbed Rachel's hand and raced her down the hallway, through a few different turns until they found an empty room to get lost in. They ran in and quickly shut the door behind them.