Chapter Six

The cold grey morning was not welcoming but Lucan had risen to meet it. He looked toward the sea, misty and dark. A new day. A new life. Lucan walked along the wharf where the Merkara lay moored. He had acquired passage for himself and his sons. The steam ship's bulk moved on the water, eerily impeding. Lucan sucked in his breath, drew his shoulders back and exhaled. The wagon he hauled wasn't heavy. Their possessions were few. A water keg, bedding, utensils and clothing.

"Covey, you hold on and don't let go."

The small boy beamed at his father.

Smiling, Lucan said, "I don't want ta lose ya, so Da needs you to hold onto the strap so you don't fall."

Lucan hitched Riley higher onto his hip. The wharf was long and curved to the left. Gas lanterns lined the way, not lit, but on guard. He walked close to the rails, away from the train tracks, where loads were being moved back and forth from the ships. He looked at the water, into its black depths, which swirled in slow waves against the wooden piers. The wind blew cold in his face. Young boys hauled in fish with small nets. They climbed on the rocks near the wharf calling to each other and waving to onlookers.

Lucan turned his head toward the crowd, coming and going, horses and carts carrying crates, men with stooped backs and grey beards, others, younger, shouting and running for ropes. Women, crying, dabbing their eyes with lace handkerchiefs pulled their bonnets lower and their embroidered shawls tighter while long skirts dragged in water and mud.

Lucan wove this way and that through the throng.  No one cared or wondered who he was.  Just a man with two sons...

He thought of Kat and her want for them to leave and move on.  Now he was here, dressed in his jacket and cap...

With no Kat.

"Steerage to the left and down the stairs

"Steerage to the left and down the stairs."

Lucan looked in the direction the young sailor had pointed. He shifted the cumbersome pack on his back and steered Covey in front of him toward the top of the stairway. Covey stumbled on the blanket he was carrying.

"Ah...for Christ's sake get ya damn brat movin'!" a gruff voice yelled from behind.

Turning to see who had spoken, Lucan scowled. There were the too many faces. He gave Covey a nudge. "Pick it up, lad. Tuck it under your arm."

Covey did as he was told. Lucan smiled down at him. "Hold it tight now. I'm right behind you."

As they began their descent Lucan heard the impatience of the people behind him but he was determined not to let it affect him. Covey dropped the blanket once more. Lucan struggled to pick it up.

"Ere. I'll take the babe." The middle aged woman beside him smiled sympathetically. "Mines big enough ta walk theyselves and I can see your havin' trouble."

Nodding his thanks, Lucan passed Riley to her. He picked up the blanket and tucked it under his arm. "Keep movin', lad," he said to Covey.

"Ain't they got any mother, mista?"