Chapter Twenty-Two

When Lucan came to, Lillian was sitting beside his bed. He looked at her through blurry eyes. A sudden surge of nausea swept through him. Lucan tried to sit up but pain raked his body and he vomited over himself and his bedding.

Lillian screamed, stumbled to her feet and backed away.

Hearing the scream, Meggy rushed into the room. Lucan was struggling to roll over, holding his hand out to Lillian. She was jammed up against the wall, her hands to her mouth.

Anger consumed Meggy. She rushed forward and reached for the bucket she had placed beside Lucan's bed. Meggy pulled Lucan onto his side and held the bucket for him to vomit in. She supported him with one arm, and turned on Lillian. "Get out of here. Now!"

Sobbing hysterically, Lillian rushed to the door.

When Meggy left Lucan to empty the bucket, she found Lillian in the kitchen peeling potatoes, her eyes red and swollen.

"I'm sorry, Meggy, so sorry. I panicked... I..."

"For the love of God, Lillian." Meggy huffed. "You're going tae be his wife, he needed you."

Nodding, Lillian began to cry. She dabbed at her eyes with her handkerchief. "It happened so suddenly. He woke up and then... I didn't expect it. I'm so useless." Her sobs grew louder. She hung her head in her hands.

Meggy's heart softened. She placed the bucket on the floor and put her arm around Lillian's shoulders. "It's alright. I'm sorry I yelled."

"He must think I'm an idiot." Lillian sniffed back her tears, folded her arms across her chest and waited for Meggy to respond.

Meggy said nothing and continued to pat Lillian's shoulder.

"Lucan won't want to marry someone like me now," Lillian sulked.

"What's that supposed tae mean?" Meggy frowned.

Shrugging, Lillian blew her nose and dabbed her eyes. "Someone who screams at a bit of vomit."

"He won't even remember," Meggy said with a laugh and picked up the bucket. "He fell back tae sleep straight away."

"And you won't tell him?" Lillian raised her eyebrows and cocked her head in question.

"No. I think that's up tae you, Lillian." Meggy gave her a puzzled look and moved toward the back door. She stopped and looked at the table. "What are you doing?"

Lillian followed Meggy's gaze to the half-peeled potatoes. "I was trying to help, do something useful."

"Thanks." Meggy nodded. "It's enough so I wouldn't do any more. I can't see Lucan eating the night." She paused in the doorway. "You best go home. Come back the morrow. I'm sure he'll be more settled then and I have tae clean him up. The bed and all."

Lillian lifted her bag and followed Meggy down the stairs. "Meg-Anne," she called. "Thank you for everything you've done for Lucan."

Meggy shrugged, a surge of anger stirred in her belly. "You don't have tae thank me, Lillian. I do what I do for him no you." She moved off with the bucket once more.

"I'm not a bad person, Meg-Anne. Just different from you."

Meggy turned at the sound of her words. She looked at Lillian and said, "And are you the same sort of person as Lucan?"

With eyes narrowed, Lillian watched Meggy move off and tip the contents of the bucket into the long grass. She took a deep breath, and then stepped around the corner of the house.

After rinsing the bucket, Meggy filled it with fresh water from the tank. As it filled, she looked to the darkening sky and sighed. She couldn't believe twelve hours had passed since they had been told of the explosion. Margaret had taken the boys home with her and Thaiter had gone to the pub to, how did he put it? Have a couple to calm his nerves. She smiled at this thought, turned off the tap and went inside. Meggy topped up the bucket with hot water, collected some clean cloths and a blanket then headed into Lucan's bedroom.

He was awake half sitting, propped against the bed head. "I'm... sorry, Meggy," he gasped. "I've been sick."

"Aye." She smiled. "You have that. I was just coming tae clean you up." Meggy left him where he was and pulled the curtain back so she could see in the failing light. "Lillian was here earlier," she said as she gathered up the soiled blanket.

Meggy waited for him to answer and when he didn't, she touched him gently. "Lucan." He opened his eyes dreamily. Meggy smiled. "It's no so bad, there's more on you than on the bed."

"I feel like I've been hit with a sledge hammer," Lucan murmured.

Smoothing the sheet and made sure it was clean, Meggy said, "You may as well have been. Doctor Jack says you'll be sore for a few days yet." She straightened up, put her hands on her hips and looked down at him. "He's given me some Quinine for the pain if you need it." Meggy paused. "Come on. Let's get you back down so I can give you a wash."

Lucan groaned as Meggy helped him lay on the bed. She wet the cloth, sat on the edge of the bed and washed the vomit from his face, chest and stomach. Lucan closed his eyes and let the warmth of the water and her gentle touch, soothe his aching body.

When she was finished Meggy threw the cloth into the bucket of water. She sighed and folded her arms across her body. Biting down on her bottom lip, she looked at his strong sleeping features. Her eyes roamed from his face to his chest and stomach. She sighed again at the sight of him and tenderly touched the bandage that covered his wound. Meggy smiled and as she stood Lucan took hold of her fingers. She turned back at the feel of his touch. He beckoned her with his hand so she bent to hear what he was saying.

Touching her face with his fingers, Lucan brushed a wisp of hair from her eyes. "Thank you, Meggy," he whispered. His hand dropped slowly onto the bed as he closed his eyes.

I'm sorry, but Lillian is no help at all.  I wonder how they'll get her to realise she and Lucan aren't a match.

Photo - BBC