Chapter One

She watched as he slowly raised the glass to his mouth, as his lips touched the clear surface and the amber liquid drained from within. Meg-Anne felt a heavy weight press on her chest. She gulped in the smoke-filled air. His eyes held her firm and Meg-Anne Dunn wondered if this was how it felt to die.

"Megs? Sweetie? What's up?" Beatrice gave her a little shake and stood in front of her.

Meggy started, released her breath and blinked.

Grinning, Beatrice said, "I think he's just what you need." She grabbed hold of Meggy's hand and took a step forward. "Come on, let's go and introduce you."

"No!" Meggy jerked from Beatrice's grasp. "Not him!"

Beatrice spun around. "Why not? He's perfect and you seemed to be struck by him."

Meggy headed in the opposite direction.

Beatrice went after her, stepped in front of her and placed her hands, one on each of Meggy's shoulders. "What's wrong with you, you stupid woman?" She grinned. "Surely you're not going to walk away from that?"

"I am. I'm not in the mood, Bee. Why dinnae you...." She glanced over her shoulder, and then spun around to front the crowd scanning every face. "He's gone!"

"How could he be?" Beatrice searched the room. "Shit, he's a fast mover." She grinned and looked at Meggy. "Jesus if he's that quick he probably wouldn't be much good for a long night of comfort, eh!"

Meggy's head spun. Could she have imagined his face? Probably. Oh... she hated her life. "I'm going home, Bee. I've had enough."

"But what about Bill? He'll skin you alive if you don't keep the punters happy."

"I don't care, Bee. I hate this." She swept her hand around the room. Her agitation grew. Its seed of discontent sprouted and with it her voice got louder. "I left my old life to make a new one and what have I ended up doing? The same bloody thing! Just in a different hell hole!" Meggy burst into tears. She ran from the bar and out into the dimly lit street. Half way along she slowed down and leaned against the wall of the green grocers. Meggy rocked slowly backwards and forwards in an attempt to comfort herself. She wiped at her face, felt apprehension engulf her and wind its way from her stomach and into every part of her body. She had felt this anxiety before, after her mother got sick. It had driven her into the life she now lived, had steered her into the unknown, now that same worry and fear overwhelmed her as she struggled to understand. 

Meggy seems to know who he is.

Photo - cropped Dreamstime.com