Chapter Two - Part 1

"Our School was established in eighteen eighty-six, Miss Rowles. It has grown quite considerably since then. Sixteen pupils enrolled within the first month." Louis Lewis leaned back in his chair. "The new State School and residence were built in eighty-nine. I was appointed principal at that time." He looked out of the open window. "The play shed was added not long ago. Tin and Mister Moffat have been good to Irvinebank." He paused. "But...it is sad to say, many of the children's parents don't see education the way we'd like them to."

Louis Lewis watched his new infant teacher nod her head in agreement. She had been at the school for a small while and though he thought she was very good at her job, he wasn't sure the climate Irvinebank offered suited her. She was a little too proper. Had airs and graces rarely seen even in the most distinguished of Irvinebank's population. Her recommendations had been of the highest regard in relation to her work. Still, Louis had his doubts as to how she would be socially accepted by the majority of the inhabitants. He had resigned himself to the fact only time would tell.

He placed his elbows on the desk and leaned forward. "You have monitored your student's attendance as I asked, Miss Rowles?"

Lillian Rowles opened her register and put it in front of him.

He studied the names on the pages. "There are half a dozen or so who aren't regulars."

"Yes." Lillian nodded. "I have spoken to three sets of parents." She touched the diary. "As you can see in the last week the children's attendance has improved considerably." She took a short breath and continued, "Their parents have assured me they will try very hard to send the children regularly."

Louis smiled. "Very good and the other four?" He glanced at the register. "Anderson, Hayes, Henke and King. What of them?"

"I have sent letters home each week, or at least every time the child attended." Lillian pointed to a name on the register. "The Andersons did reply. I've made an appointment to see them. As yet there's no word from the others." She hesitated, and then added, "I think perhaps I shall pay them a visit and explain how important education is for their children."

"You will be tactful won't you, Miss Rowles?"

She frowned, not sure of his meaning.

"Some of the miners don't give a care about education. They figure if they've got on quite well without it their children will get on just as well." He peered at her, wondering how she would cope with some of these parent's reactions when she spoke with them. "So tact will be the difference between their agreement or not."

Lillian nodded her understanding. "I shall certainly try not to be offensive."

"Good..." Louis clasped his hands together. "Excellent. I'm glad we understand each other." He stood to indicate the interview was over.

Lillian hesitated as she moved toward the door.

"You have a question, Miss Rowles?"

She smiled timidly, and then said, "I don't have an address for Covey Hayes, sir. The register hasn't been filled in correctly. Only his name and his father's, no birth date, siblings, mother's name. I'm not sure how to go about contacting his parents."

Louis raised his eyebrows. "I suggest you ask around. There'll be someone who can tell you what you need to know." He nodded his dismissal and turned to some papers on the shelf behind his desk leaving Lillian bemused. She closed the door quietly behind her.

Photo copyright - Irvinebank Church of England Sunday School - Historical Society of Mareeba Home Resources