Chapter Fifteen

Covey and Riley were playing in the garden while Meggy was pegging out the washing when Lucan woke up. He made himself some tea and sat on the back steps to drink it.

Riley rushed over to him and climbed onto his lap. He pointed at his father's head. "Sore..."

Lucan pulled his head back before Riley's little fingers could press on it. "Yeah, Da's got a sore head, don't touch it."

Covey hearing this ran over to his father. "What'd you do, Da?"

"Just hit me head, lad."

"How?"

"On a rock." He took another sip of tea and looked at Meggy. She was wearing the wide brimmed hat he had bought her. She pegged out the last item of clothing and sat with him on the steps.

"How does it feel?" She took her hat off and tilted his head so she could look at the cut.

"No touch, Meggy." Riley slapped her arm.

"Hey, boy. You don't hit," Lucan growled.

Riley's little face crumbled.

"Lucan dinnae rouse him, he's just protecting you."

"He can't be allowed to hit you, Meg."

Riley squirmed in Lucan's arms trying to get down. Lucan looked at the little boy's face and immediately felt bad. He put down his tea and held Riley out in front of him with both hands. "Hey, hey come on, lad. Meggy's not gonna hurt Da, but you're not ta hit. Come on, lad don't cry." Tears streamed down his son's face.

"Here let me take him." Meggy held her hands out to Riley. He went to her willingly. She carried him into garden pointing out different things. Riley calmed down and snuggled close sucking his thumb.

Lucan remained on the stairs, Covey leaning against him, when she walked towards them. She sat down on the step below him, just touching his leg.

He ran his hand down the back of her head and said, "Thanks."

She looked at him and with a smile said, "So how does ya head feel?"

"Bit tender." He lifted his cup. "I have to go to town. You want to come? Meet some people."

They walked together. Covey held Meggy's hand and Lucan, forgiven by Riley, was carrying him on his shoulders. As they passed houses Covey pointed out the ones he knew. "That's Ben Bakers and Caroline Henke lives there." Meggy nodded and said the occasional aye or nae to let him know she was interested. They walked down Jessie Street. Some people acknowledged Lucan, others didn't, but they all stared at Meggy.

Lucan chuckled. "You're already the talk of the town."

"How?" Meggy peered at him with concern on her face.

"Small town, people talk." Lucan shrugged and grinned. "It's why I hit me head last night."

"What do you mean?"

"The men down in the tunnel reckoned I was in a mood." He glanced at her to see how she reacted but her face didn't change.

"What's that tae do with me?"

"They said havin' one woman to contend with is tricky enough and now I've got two, so I must be getting into trouble with one or the other of you. I was telling 'em to shut it and stood up too fast without looking at what I was doing."

"And are you having strife with it, Lucan?" Meggy sighed. "Is me being here causing you problems?"

"I told you, Meg, I'll sort it." He wished he hadn't spoken. "Don't go getting any ideas." Lucan studied her face, saw her bite on her lip and confusion in her amber eyes, he added, "Are you happy, Meggy? Is the lifestyle suiting you? I know it's not what you're use to with the bairn's and all, but are ya happy?"

Meggy studied his concerned face, and then touched his cheek. "Aye... I'm happy." She continued to walk.

They met up with Jacko outside Jack and Newells. He slapped Lucan on the back and looked Meggy up and down. "How are you, Luc? And who's this now? I did hear a story."

"This is Meggy, me sister-in-law. Come to stay for a bit and help me with the lads. Meggy this is Jacko who owns that horse, Claire. He has stables and looks after the mules down at the battery."

"Hello," she said.

Jacko took off his hat and bowed.

Meggy Laughed at his antics. She took Riley from Lucan and went with Covey to look into the window of the shop while they waited for Lucan to finish talking.

As the men said goodbye to each other Jacko called over his shoulder. "I might call up to see Thaiter later."

"He'll be home around five," Lucan told him.

Lucan introduced Meggy to Will Paton the baker, Old Tom Bolch and Hugh Munro the blacksmith. They all greeted her kindly. They met Margaret Scott. She was talking to a few other women and welcomed Meggy warmly.

"This is Lucan's sister-in-law. She's here to stay for a while. Helping him with the boys she is."

Lucan nodded to the women and excused himself. Covey ran after him leaving Meggy with Riley. The women were friendly enough and asked her how she liked Irvinebank and the heat. Meg answered them politely wishing Lucan would hurry back. Others joined the group while some continued on their way. They were all curious to meet the new woman in town.

"So how are you related to Lucan exactly?" asked one who was nosier than the others. They all waited for her answer.

"I'm Kat's younger sister."

"Who's Kat then?"

"Lucan's wife." Meggy frowned. "The lad's mother."

"Oh... so what happened to her?"

Meggy bit on her lip wondering if Lucan would want all these women to know about his life but she decided once they knew their curiosity would be over. "She died giving birth to Riley."

They cooed sympathetically. Meggy was relieved when she saw Lucan coming towards them with a huge sack of potatoes on his shoulder. Covey was carrying a large piece of meat.

Lucan nodded at the women, and then looked over at Meggy. "I'll head back home with these then."

They watched as he walked by. One of the friendlier older women made an approving noise in the back of her throat and tittered, "Now if I was younger?"

The group of women giggled. One of them slapped her lightly on the arm. "Gerty!"

Another said, "Miss Rowles doesn't know how lucky she is."

Gerty huffed. "They's not suited. She'll make life tough for him, that one."

They seemed to forget Meggy was there. She too watched Lucan disappearing in the distance and marvelled at how he carried the heavy item with ease. Meggy excused herself, and then followed him home.

He was tipping the potatoes into the box when she walked through the back door. "So, did ya make some new friends?" he asked.

She put Riley down. "Acquaintances. Not friends yet."

"They asked you a million questions, I bet."

"Oh Aye, they did that."

Hahaha listen to all that gossiping. Poor Meggy.

alamy stock photo