09

Vicky West

I was sitting on my window bench with a book in my lap, beanie on and earplugs in. My music turned up so loud that I couldn’t hear myself singing, but surely Miss Berch could – she didn’t like me that much anyways, and I was not one to disappoint.

I closed the book, and laid it to the side. I had been reading the book for weeks, and I was proud I got around to finally finishing it. I hadn’t had much time to just relax – with the hectic holidays and Harry situation – and I was trying to focus on myself a bit more these days. I felt lighter, and more aware of myself; I was hoping to use my newfound freedom to make myself happy, instead of relying on others to do so.

I made my way to the kitchen, and poured myself a glass of orange juice. I leaned my back against the counter, gulping down the refreshing liquid before placing the glass on the counter beside me. I made my way back to the fridge, pouring myself another glass, and breathing a deep sigh as I studied my nearly empty fridge. I had to do some grocery shopping soon; I was living off orange juice and take-out at this point.

My music paused, and I checked my phone to see I had a new message. I didn’t recognize the number, and became slightly nervous about what I was going to find. I unlocked my phone, tapped my code, and opened the message. When I read the words I was immediately reminded of who I had given my number to.

Unknown: “It took me longer than expected, but I finally got the courage to text you. Now you have my number. Much love, Liam.’’

I hadn’t talked to him after the party, but it was lovely to see he hadn’t forgotten about me. I personally thought he wouldn’t message me, since we met at a party and most people don’t take it much further than that. It took my a couple minutes to think of an appropriate response, but I thought it would be nice to thank him for giving me his number as well.

Vicky: “Heyy. It’s okay, really. No courage needed, promise :) I have you saved in my phone now. Thank you. x’’

I received a response only a few seconds after the message was sent.

Liam: “Well, I wasn’t sure if you only gave me your number because you had been drinking. It could’ve been a momentary lapse of judgment on your part. Parties aren’t really my thing, I never know how I’m supposed to act :p’’

I chuckled a bit, completely agreeing with his uncomfortable behavior at parties. The only good things about that evening was dancing with my friends, meeting Liam and finally saying something to Harry. It had taken too long for my to say something, and maybe it had been my fault he had thought he would get away with his behavior towards me.

I sighed, willing myself to focus on the positive aspects of my life. It was weird to try and befriend a guy, the last relationship I had with a guy never constituted a friendship – I had never taken the time to be friends with Harry. I thought it best to ask Liam if he wanted to hangout, casually and strictly platonically.

Vicky: “I’m glad I got out of there when I did. Moving on, are you free tomorrow?’’

I had sent the message minutes ago, and became nervous for his answer. He answered my first message so quickly – was I being too straightforward? I had never hung out with other guys while Harry and I were together, and I forgot how the platonic friendship was supposed to work – Marcel didn’t count because he was just one of the girls. When my phone vibrated, I felt my heart beating erratically. It was strange to be so nervous when I barely knew him.

Liam: “I wanted to ask you the same thing. Yes, I am.’’

A massive grin was spread on my face, and I stared down at my phone. Play it cool,Vicky. I waited a minute, not wanting to look desperate by replying immediately, but the anticipation was killing me and I texted back after two minutes.