16

Vicky West

I was stood by my front door, hugging Red and Marcel goodbye. I promised I'd see them tomorrow, agreeing that we should meet at Red's apartment around eleven, and shut the door as I heard their laughter fade down the corridor.

When I re-entered the living room I noticed Harry was still seated on the sofa, his phone was gripped in his palm as he ran his empty hand over his face.

"Red and Marcel have left," I said, pointing awkwardly to the front door.

"All right," Harry mumbled. "William just texted me back." Harry mentioned, holding his phone out in an offer for me to read what had been said.

I took his phone, mumbling a quiet thank you, and scrolled through the short conversation.

Harry: Hi mate, how is Australia treating you? I was wondering if you wanted to grab a drink at Rosé when you get back? - H.

William Purdy: Hey, Harry. Australia is amazing; the sun, drinks, and women are all lovely. Rosé sounds great; we'll set up a time when I return. Speak to you soon, Styles.

"He's making this too easy, you know." I admit.

"I'm just waiting for all the drama that comes along with William. I'll let you know when he wants to get together." Harry told me, making an obvious effort to keep me informed. If only he could have been honest with me from the start, we might have avoided all this shit with William. I was caught up in my whirlwind thoughts of what might've been when Harry cleared his throat, clearly uncomfortable with my quiet demeanour. "Vicky we really need to talk." Harry stated, standing from the couch.

"Yeah, we do," I agreed, and shifted nervously on my feet. "About last night..."

"Yeah, uhh, last night..." Harry trailed off, unsure of what to say.

"I don't know how you feel about it, bu-"

"I don't regret it." Harry cut me off.

"You don't?" I blurted out.

"No, well maybe..." He stuttered.

"Well which is it Harry?" I snarled.

"I regret how it happened, and I regret why it happened, but I could never regret what I did and how you make me feel. I made love to you Vicky, and it was beautiful, I would never regret that. Do you regret it?"

"No, no, I don't." I assured him instantly. "I thought you'd be upset with me for making you leave, but I didn't want you getting the wrong idea." I spewed out my half-ass attempt at an apology. "I could have been nicer, or explained myself, but I was piss drunk.

"Vicks," Harry whispered, knowing I wouldn't object to his use of the pet name right now. "I know you want distance, but I can't stay away from you. You and I both know that distance is no good for either one of us, I can't be away from you. I haven't slept in weeks; every time I close my eyes I see you laying in bed crying yourself to sleep over my asinine behaviour, and the only thing that soothes the ache I feel, is being near you. You're my remedy, Vicky, my solace. I have no comfort without you."

"I just need some time, Harry. Not space, just time. You broke my trust; I had so much faith in you, in us, and you shattered it. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth. I'm not saying these things to hurt you, I would never want to hurt you; I love you, despite everything."

"You know I love you, Vicks, I just have a fucked up way of showing it, and for that I'm sorry." Harry said, and I felt his warm hands taking mine.

"Last night was a momentary lapse of good judgement, we weren't thinking clearly." I agreed completely. "I'm not saying it was a mistake, but it doesn't mean anything; my resolve is still the same, I can't be with you Harry."