02

Vicky West

Red's words had captivated the better part of my attention for the past few days. I was Herpes free - that much was obvious - but I couldn't understand how Harry had contracted it if he never cheated. I knew he was avoiding me, and it took everything in me to remain stoic - I didn't want him to know how much he hurt me.

It was heartbreaking to know that someone you're madly in love with, and who seemed to reciprocate, could turn their back on you so easily. I could no longer wake-up to him, kiss him, or hear him say he loves me. He just left me, without any explanation, after everything that had happened in New York. I hurriedly dispelled the thoughts from my mind, I wasn't going to do this to myself, he wouldn't have the satisfaction.

I had just finished painting my nails, and I spun cheerfully in my kitchen bar stool as I admired my work. Music was blasting through the speakers, and I had specifically picked this song to brighten my mood. The music made me feel alive, and seductive. Maybe this could work, maybe I could push all feelings for Harry aside and be corruptive.

My phone rang, cutting off the music, and I quickly picked up the device. ''Vicky,'' I spoke agitatedly into the phone, it took a while before the person on the other line replied back. I had disregarded to see who was even calling me, but immediately smiled when the familiar voice came through the phone

''Vicky, are you in LA right now ?'' Judy asked me through the phone. A self-satisfied smug appeared on my face when I heard her tone of voice. I told her I was, and that I wasn't busy at all. ''I've called a few dancers, but they're still with their families. Would you be able to come to the club? I need to see if the routine is acceptable for the next show.'' She begged me.

''I'll be on my way in ten minutes,'' I replied. ''Where are you in the building?'' I asked her before she had the chance to hang up. I blew some air against my nails, in ambitiousness that they would without blemish air-dried in a couple of minutes so that I could grab my dancing attire.

''I'm in my office, you know the basement?'' I told her I did. ''Well, I'm excited to finally see it all come together, and you'll get to see the moves and hear the music before everyone else. Thanks for picking up, and not letting me down.'' She said, and a freehearted smile appeared on my face.

''No worries, Judy. I'll take any opportunity to dance, if I can.'' I assured her.

I was ready a lot sooner than I had expected to be. My bag was stuffed with pieces of clothing, and my nails were dry as well. I got into my Mini-Cooper, and I was driving to the Moulin Rouge. Everything felt a bit better after I had received my results from the hospital; the anxiety of having a disease I didn't even know about no longer weighed on my mind, and I no longer felt guilty that I had done wrong by Harry.

As I parked my car, I saw the familiar Bentley I had found Harry sleeping in the morning after his party. Reminiscences were coming back, but I pushed them away. I needed to care less about him at this point, and I knew that if I kept being the happy-go-lucky and unsympathetic person against him, I'd achieve what I wanted.

''Thank god you're really here, Vicky!'' Judy beamed in joyousness. I gave her a prompt nod, and smiled at her. I greeted her back, and then I followed her to the subterranean vault where her brilliant mind concocted our shows.

I changed into a crop top and high wasted dance leggings. With a flannel around my waist, and my light-coloured pair of Nike's on, I was ready to dance.

Dancing was my commitment, but also it was an escape from reality. I could dance in my apartment, but I would end up breaking things, and then the whole part of taking my mind off reality would evaporate. I had once thought about renting a dancing room, but I could hardly afford it. Why was everything so outstandingly expensive in this world?