24

Vicky West

Life never treated me kindly.

How was I going to tell Harry that the person he absolutely loathed got engaged and moved to Germany? The bigger problem: how was I going to mention Liam being the new assistant manager? The man he loathed even more.

I always had to deliver terrible news.

And I didn't really have a chance to call Red or to resolve it properly because of Harry picking me up after my shift. My feet dragged me over the parking lot, and I spotted his car a few metres away from me. The door opened - even and though I was exasperated towards Kent's departure and Liam's return – I managed to smile automatically when Harry stepped out. A dazzling, proud, smile was crossed on his features and I noticed he had changed his clothes.

''Glad to have you back, babe,'' Harry said, and pressed his lips firmly onto mine.

The taste of his lips was a feeling which would never tired me. One of his hands held my cheek, and he moved with his thumb over my skin softly.

''It's a good thing I am not working here endlessly,'' I spoke in an honest manner.

''Get in the car. I have to tell you something,'' Harry told me. He wanted to open the passenger side for me, but I told him not to. He disappointedly accepted my refusal; after all, he knew his pleading wouldn't help him get anywhere.

I buckled my seatbelt as I heard the engine roar to life. He backed out of the parking lot and drove straight away. ''I talked with William, and he is ecstatic about the Masked Ball. He kept telling me how overjoyed he was about being able to give me my birthday present sooner.'' He told me, but I could see his facial expression showed he wasn't excited about this.

''You don't seem thrilled about that,'' I pointed out carefully, and he grabbed my hand tightly.

''I'm certain he's going to give something that might piss you off.'' He rumbled angrily. ''William is going to send woman to the ball and basically think I'll take advantage of them. But you know I won't do such thing, right?'' One of his eyebrows raised as his eyes flickered from the road and then back to me.

''I know they don't matter to you,'' I told him. ''What has happened to you in the past, and the couple of weeks with William, are days you want to forget. I'm afraid of losing you, I know you will stay around.'' I assured him. He was being a better self, and falling back into his old pattern wasn't going to happen to him. Not anymore.

As he was driving, he brought my hand to his mouth and placed a rushed kiss on it. ''I was freaking out on the inside, thinking you wouldn't trust me under such circumstances.''

I didn't want him to think I wouldn't trust him. Red showed me that I didn't need to hold onto the past every day.

I chuckled breezily. ''Don't think I'll doubt you, Harry.'' If I had to assure him thousands of times that I wouldn't stop trusting him, then I would do such thing. As long as he knew I was consistently by his side. ''Also, we need to make sure William doesn't spot us together.''

''That's why it's better to go to your apartment instead of my house,'' Harry explained to me. He had it all figured out. ''I wanted to rent a car, but then decided against it because I am not going to drive in a piece of crap. I've grown attached to my Bentley.''

''I know,'' I giggled. ''I don't mind.''

Harry was still holding my hand as we were driving on the road. Somehow I repeatedly felt more comfortable in a car at night. Masses of people wouldn't look at you. They wouldn't notice what you were doing.