Chapter 13

We had Ruggie cornered in the courtyard. Ace, Deuce and I panted heavily. Ruggie looked as relaxed as can be. Yuu and Grim came up shortly.

"Shishishi, this is nothing compared to the slums I grew up in," Ruggie put his hands behind his head. "Even if you catch me you have no way in proving that I did it, you know?"

Deuce looked pissed off, "...What did you say?"

"There's no proof I hurt anyone right? Did anyone see me using magic? Do you have any photographic evidence? You have nothing then, huh?" his face grew smugger.

I mean, he isn't wrong. That just makes it worse though.

"You coward!" Yuu yelled to his face. It was odd seeing them get worked up.

"A coward? Well that's a choice of words," Ruggie's mood went down for a moment. It went back in an instant. "Shishishi, next time you try and come after me, please make sure you come back with some proof. Well, if you can even catch me next time."

"Ungh! This is so infuriating!" Grim whined.

"You're just a little weasel!" I spat.

"I'm a hyena! Not a weasel!" He corrected me.

That's what ticked him off? Really?!

"Well, that's all for our little chase today~. I'll go ahead a leave your magic pens here. Bye-bye~!" Ruggie put down the pens and scampered off.

"Dammit! This is pissing me off!" Ace ruffled his hair roughly.

I walked to where he placed the pens. An apple tree stoon strong next to it. I kicked it with all my might, an apple fell on the other side. I exhaled some of my anger, but I wasn't completely calm yet.

"Dorm leader Rosehearts will have our heads for sure," Deuce withered.

"I wonder what else he's planning..." Yuu breathed out in a worried tone.

"You guys," a gruff voice joined, "are you still cluelessly searching for the criminal?"

We all turned to find the owner of the voice. I groaned to myself when I saw. It's the scary guy again...Jack, was it?

I sighed again and walked to Deuce. It was too early for all of this.

"You should be helping us instead of just watching." Ace grumbled. "Your upperclassman isn't a good guy."

"Why are you so desperate in trying to help others?" Jack asked. He totally ignored Ace's comments.

"For others?" Deuce titled his head.

"I get you're trying to help your injured friends, but-," Jack started on a lecture.

"Hah?" Ace interrupted. "What are you talking about? Who said we were doing this to help others?" It was Jack's turn to look confused.

"We just want to prove ourselves by catching the criminal to solve this case," Deuce stated like it was the obvious reason.

"That's right. We want to be players in the Magift tournament so we can show our skills to the world," Ace backed up his dormmate.

"I'm gonna catch the criminal so I get to be on TV!" Grim confidently proclaimed.

"I don't want to get evicted," Yuu shrugged.

"I'm on the same boat as them," I pointed to Yuu with my thumb.

"Hmph, I thought I wouldn't trust people who try too hard just to help others but..." Jack got a smug grin on his face, "you guys are worse than I thought."