Chapter 18

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" I screamed.

Leona's skin was now an ashy, desaturated version of his normal earthy glow. His hair was a wild mane, and his outfit was dark and stained with ink. Black fur and dull gold jewelry accessories decorated his black leather corset and raggedy skirt. Ink dripped from his arms and feet. His nails were long, sharp claws. The only brightness was in his lush green eyes. A flare of his fiery colored magic aura untainted by the blot billowed from his left eye. Rocks and sand mixed with the dark miasma and swirled around the field in a storm.

Jack was just as confused as I was. "A...a dark shadow took over Leona's body!" he gasped. At least I wasn't the only one to see it.

"Overblot," Yuu answered in hushed voice.

"That's an...overblot incarnation!" Deuce gasped.

Grim quivered between Yuu and I. He whimpered, "He just went 'evil berserk mode', just like Riddle!"

"THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO RIDDLE?! OH MY LORD!" I hollered. Leona roared loudly. Every time he did, the earth would crumble even more.

Riddle started delegating those who were around, "Everyone retreat if you can! Ace, Deuce, help get the injured people out of here! Lilia! Please go get the teachers for help!" Everyone went off to do their part. I shielded my eyes from the flying debris.

Jack was firm in his choice to stay, "I don't understand what's going on, but all I knew is that we gotta get Leona back!"

"I-I'm helping too...keghk!" Ruggie stood beside his underclassman.

"Ruggie, you're hurt! Go with the others!" I yelled.

"I'm not just gonna let him get away with everything he said!" Ruggie steadied himself.

A distorted voice from Leona laughed, "Is the little hyena trying to go against me!? Hahaha! What a joke. None of you will get to see the morning un of tomorrow!"

"Viv, go!" Yuu ordered.

"What?! No! If all of you are staying, I am too!" I defiantly remarked. "I'll be able to handle myself! Trust me!" Yuu looked skeptical, but that only made me want to stay more.

"Let's do it! For the Magical Shift Tournament!" Grim exclaimed. Yuu and I smirked at it.

"Let's go everyone!" Yuu proclaimed. Everyone charged into battle.

Riddle was the most well equipped for battle. It was like he had a counter for everything. Cater was supporting him from farther away. Jack and Ruggie worked together to push forward and close the gap between them and their rampaging dorm leader. Yuu was the furthest from the fray. They gave moves to Grim, and he moved across the battle with precision to send long ranged attacks at Leona. I weaved around the battlefield and sent the best of my offensive magic spells. They either fell short or flew off in another direction.

"Viv, watch out on your left!" I caught Yuu's warning in the nick of time. I casted a magic shield to block the boulder that flew in my direction. The magic shattered and sent my flying with force. I bounced before I skidded to a stop.

"Vivi!" Cater called. He helped me up by my armpits. There was a ringing in my ears. I clutched my ribs as a throbbing pain shot through chest. "Vivi, you should go to Ace and Deuce-,"

"I'm good. Just need to walk it off," I smiled at him. Before he could say anything else I ran back into the fray. I ducked underneath a giant rock that was launched. "If I could just get closer-KYAH!" The ground beneath me cracked open. I fell in as the crevasse grew wider. I dug my nails into the dirt on the edge for dear life.

Holy crap! Holy crap! I have to get up! Get up!

I pulled myself up from the chasm. I clawed at the pebbles and sand. My feet pushed on the few holds they could find. When I thought I was almost out, my foot slipped. I fell down deeper. My fingers were right on the edge. I tried to find a new foothold, but before I could I felt a large hand grab my collar. Jack pulled me out and away from the crack in the ground. As I caught my breath, Jack nodded his head to me and went back to fighting.

Dang it! I'm just making them all worry. I should have just ran when I had the chance...

I felt tears sting my eyes.

"You want to help them, right?" the tinkling voice returned even stronger. I blinked the tears away as a hazy image of a girl in a blue night gown with a bright, yellow-green light flying around her stood in front of me.

"I do, but my spells don't even reach," I confessed. I hung my head, "They'd be better off without me. I'm just a-a kid they have to watch at this rate."

"Someone very dear to me once told me that one girl was of more use than twenty boys," the girl with a soothing voice came closer. She lifted my head to look me in the eye. "If you repeat these words, then you will have the ability you seek..."

She whispered in my ear, and I repeated every word, "The angel's whisper in the night, the helping hand that delivers might, envelop the heart that aches for adventure: DARLING MOTHER!"

The image of the girl disappeared. I felt a force push away the overbearing miasma from me. The pain from when I got hit was gone. I felt energized. I looked at my hands to see a peach-colored glow emitted from me.

"You don't have much time. Hurry," the girl's voice urged. I got to my feet and ran towards Leona. I was light on my feet. I sent an offensive spell at Overblot Leona, and it hit him. He growled and turned his attention to me. I clicked my tongue. It didn't look like it hurt him, but at least I drew his attention from the others. He directed his attacks at me. I dodged them faster than before. I danced around him. I toyed with him and garnered his attacks while the others dealt the damaging blows. It wasn't long until I felt the pain from the earlier wounds. The pressure from the miasma pushed down on my shoulders.

I felt dizzy. I ran to the outskirts of the fight, all the way to Yuu. I tripped up along the way but got there with no major injuries. They stopped me with a confused knitted brow. "Vivienne, that stuff around you is back!" They pointed at me. The peachy glow was faint and flickered out. I sighed, and a wave of exhaustion and the miasma crushed me. I collapsed to me knees. "Viv!"

"I'm okay! Just tired..." I got back on my feet. I leaned on Yuu's shoulder. When I looked towards Leona, Ruggie punched Leona off the edge of a cliff created in the storm. Leona didn't move. Yuu's knees buckled under us. I caught them and guided us to the ground. "Hehe, are you tired too? ...Yuu?"

I turned their head so I could get a good look at them. Their eyes had a thick, inky haze over them like the miasma. It was like they were in a trance. The miasma around us cleared and the terrain returned to normal.

"He's passed out!" Grim cried. The others went to Leona's side as I tended to Yuu.