Chapter 35

"I summon ice!" Deuce casted the spell aimed at Floyd. The magic aura just veered in another direction at a flick of Floyd's clawed finger.

"That kind of magic won't hit me," Floyd stated.

Ace was occupied with Jade, but still managed to make a snide remark, "You have no control! Try to hit him at least once!" With a flick of his magic pen, Ace sent a beam of magic at Jade. "Take that!" It went wide, almost hitting the kelp bush I was hiding in.

Why did I agree to go underwater with them?! Nothing good happens in the water!

I tried my best to summon some sort of spell to contribute to the fight, but nothing would happen. Magic was not cooperating, and I was totally fine with that. I concentrated on not going into full panic mode.

"Fufufu, where exactly are you aiming?" Jade laughed. He was mocking the poor ginger with a smile on his face.

"Like you're one to talk!" Deuce yelled back. With each magic blow and movement of fins, the water churned. My eyes were burning as though I was crying, but if tears fell, they were lost to the sea.

Where is Yuu? They got to be here somewhere!"

I looked around to see them behind Jack with Grim in their arms. They were on the whole other side of the battle. Jack used his magic, but this time I saw a sparkling aura come from Floyd. The magic was practically the same color as the water, making it hard to see clearly. Jack's magic was sent shooting upward.

"What? Somehow they changed the direction of my magic..." Jack muttered.

I took a deep breath. I popped my head out of the seaweed and yelled, "Floyd's blocking it with magic!"

"Hee~ Little Sea Urchin is being very attentive," Floyd had a drowsy smile. "And that's where my Leafy Sea Dragon swam off to."

"Oh, dang it," I popped my head back in.

"Creatures from land have truly incredible eyesight," Jade complimented.

"I'll tell you why your magic won't hit us," Floyd explained. "My unique magic is called 'Bind the Heart'. It deflects others' attacks, so you can't hurt us. Interesting, isn't it?"

"That's not fun at all! That's cheating!" Grim pouted.

Jade sighed like a disappointed parent, "Floyd, you can't just go around disclosing your unique magic to others."

"It's fine. Just because they know doesn't mean they can stop us," Floyd grumbled.

I tried to leave the kelp bed I was in while they were distracted, but of course, my legs got tangled. I scrunched my nose as I tried to unwrap the underwater plant from my legs. My head was out in the open waters. My braids floated in rhythm with the seaweed while I bucked and twisted to try and escape.

"Come on. Come on! Hurry and run away! If I catch you, I'm gonna squeeze you with my tail," Floyd's child-like threat met my ears. "Who shall I strangle first?" When he said that, our eyes locked.

"I hate water...," I whimpered to myself as I yanked on the seaweed. A long shadow came from above and before I knew it, I was being hoisted up and out of the kelp. "Why me~..."

"It looked like you were having some trouble," Floyd put his chin on my shoulder as he coiled himself around me, "so of course I'd help you Leafy Sea Dragon. Plus, now I get to squeeze you~!" His hold on me got tighter. The little bit of oxygen in my lungs was pushed out. "Hehehe~," he giggled in my ear.

Bubbles left my nose. It became difficult to breathe. "Please...stop...," I whimpered.

"Viv!" Jack growled. He rushed over as Floyd dropped me. I floated down with a limp body. Jack caught me and helped me to stand on shaking legs. "Are you okay?"

I shook my head. "I-I want...to go...home," I squeaked. I was on the verge of sobbing. I could tell there were tears in my eyes as my vision went blurry.

"Last time Leafy giggled after I squeezed them," I could hear the pout in Floyd's voice. I glared up to see Floyd confused face. I couldn't tell if I imagined the worry that flashed in his eyes before they turned dark. "Why aren't they giggling? Hey, Sea Urchin, if you know why you better tell me."

Jack ignored Floyd. He guided me away from the overly enthusiastic eel merman. He growled, "These guys are enjoying this. We are at a complete disadvantage!"

"We need to think of a new plan," Yuu called out. "For now, retreat!"

"Hahahah~! The same thing will happen when you come back. There's no way your scrawny little legs can win against us underwater," Floyd said.

"We shall await your return," Jade bade us farewell as we swam away.

Stupid Pool Noodle. I thought as I held onto Jack's shoulders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't like it," Floyd spat out as he floated next to Jade. He watched our forms swim away.

"What don't you like?" Jade inquired as he swam closer to his brother.

"The way Leafy Sea Dragon is making me feel guilty for squeezing them. I never feel bad for squeezing some little fish," Floyd folded his arms in front his chest. "And they keep clinging to that stupid Sea Urchin! Ugh, I want to strangle him every time."

"Something does seem to be making them closer. I wonder what it is," Jade pondered.

"Tch," Floyd clicked his tongue as he swam off.