Chapter 25

** This chapter heavily mentions past trauma through episodes of Aquaphobia: the irrational fear of large amounts of water or submerging one's face in water. Viewer discretion is advised. **

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the bell rang, the three stooges flew out if the room into the hallway. Yuu and I shared a look before going out after them. They were crowded around a bulletin board along with a ton of other students.

"Rank 10, 20...no. Forty-eight, forty-nine, fifty...no!" Gri cried. "My name isn't on here!!"

Deuce also stepped back in defeat, "My name isn't here either."

Ace looked at the board carefully, "H-hold on a sec. This is the list of the top scorers and next to their name is the overall score from all subjects combined so..." He gasped at what he read. "More than 30 students on this list got perfect scores of 500!?"

"Dang!" I exclaimed. "They don't call this a prestigious school for nothing."

"Is it even possible for over 30 students to get perfect scores?!" Yuu tried to comprehend the situation.

"Well, I guess it depends on how many students are in our year. Then we could get the percentage..." I feebly tried to explain it.

"More importantly, if I'm not top 50, I will be violating the contract!" Grim wailed.

There was an awkward silence in our group as Grim statement sank in.

Ace was surprised. "Eh? 'Contract'? Grim, now way you..."

Deuce grew nervous, "Ace, by that look on your face did you also..."

"Is anyone going to fill us in? I asked. A flash of silver mixed with purple magic flashed in front of me. When it was gone, these weird sea-flowers were sprouting from Ace, Deuce, and Grim's heads. "Okay, now what the crap is this?"

Grim started to freak out. "Fyna! What the heck is this?! Why is this anemone growing on my head?!"

"Grim, did you make a contract with him too?! That's cheating!" Deuce scolded.

"Same goes for you Deuce! It's on your head too!" Ace pointed.

Grim pulled on the thing growing from his head, "Ow ow ow! I can't get it off!"

"What did you all do?!" Yuu screamed at them. Anger was mixed with concern in their voice.

"I knew you guys would be here since it's so noisy," Jack came up from behind me. I jumped slightly. "What are you all doing?"

"Jack did you make a contract- no..." Deuce looked surprised. "There's no anemone on your head!"

"I never pictured you as the studious type," Ace's lack of a filter struck once again.

"Huh? What are you talking about? What's that thing on your head?" Jack looked at them with a grossed-out face.

"These are, um...Ah!" Grim's head was yanked to the side. "What's happening?!"

"G-Grim?!" I tried to pull him back down, but that only seemed to make it worse.

"Ah! The anemone is pulling on my head!" he cried out.

"Owww! It's gonna rip my head off!" Ace screeched in pain.

Deuce was being pulled along as well. His face was contorted as he was being manipulated, "Dammit! Is this what he meant by 'absolute submission'?"

Grim was pulled out of my arms. The three amigos were dragged down the hall. Yuu, Jack and I watched in disbelief.

"What's going in? The anemone on their heads are dragging them somewhere," Jack sighed. "What a dumb picture."