Chapter 87

The moon was rising as my eyes fluttered open. "Ugh..." I groaned. I was staring up at the clouded sky.

I've been yeeted into oblivion...Wait. Why don't I feel sand on my back?

I reached out my right hand and smacked fabric. "Who am I on?" I muttered groggily as I grabbed onto it. Maybe it's Yuu? Something silky came loose and I brought it over my head to my line of sight. It was a silver fabric that seemed to be a bow tie. I stared at it confused. Then it clicked.

"Why'd you take my bow tie Leafy? It's not that special," Floyd's deeper voice was accompanied by a rumbling under my head. I sat up quickly. My braids flung out at the jerking motion.

I slapped the tie back on his chest, which was toned, as I scooted off his lap. "Sorry! Are you okay? Do you need healing?!"

"Ehehe, if Leafy is alright, I'm fine," Floyd giggled. It had more bass to it, but it was definitely his giggle.

"Ow..." Grim groaned. I turned my head to see Grim sitting on top of Yuu, who was propping themselves up on their elbows. "Why does this keep happening to us~"

Yuu looked around at our surroundings. "He blasted us really far away."

"We're lucky to be alive..." I muttered.

"Uh, it's so cold. It's like we're under ice," Floyd complained. He scooted closer so that I was sat in between his long legs. Floyd rested his chin on my head and played with my braids.

Azul sat up and dusted himself off. Jade was hovering over an incapacitated Kalim. He gently tapped his cheek and called, "Kalim. Kalim! Are you alright? Please wake up."

Kalim stirred, "Uh...uh...Where are we?"

"Oh, thank goodness. You're awake," Jade sighed with a smile. "It looks like we landed at the ends of the Scarabia desert."

"Grim's fur can keep him warm. We are from the ocean, so we can tolerate the cold. But..." Azul frowned, "the cold could be life-threatening to Kalim, Yuu, and Viv if we stay here too long."

"Of course, the humans are the ones ill equipped for survival..." Yuu groaned.

"I can keep Leafy warm," Floyd volunteered as he brought me closer. I didn't protest since it was very cold.

"There is no broom or carpet we could use to fly. What should we do?" Jade's eyes darted to each of us, lingering on his brother.

"I'm tired," Floyd whined. "Should we just walk home?"

"I don't think that's a good idea, Floyd," I sighed. I felt my braids shift as he fidgeted around.

"We were in the air for a long time before we landed. How long do you think it would take for us to walk home on foot?" Azul lectured his childhood pal. Floyd pouted and twirled a golden braid. Azul grimaced, "Nevertheless, Floyd's voice is creeping me out. I'm going to destroy your contract and return your voice back to normal."

"Eh, but I really like it..." Floyd squeezed me as he huffed like a toddler.

"But it's not Pool Noodle..." I whispered to myself.

Azul pulled a golden parchment from his blazer and tore it to bits. A gold dust sprinkled down and fluttered to Floyd's throat. He vocalized, "Hngh! Ah, ah! Alright, my voice is back to normal!"

"As your brother, I'm impressed you'd sign a contract with Azul to lend him your unique magic." Jade came closer to his twin. "I have a feeling he would make up some reason to not return the magic though...I definitely would never sign a contract with Azul."

"That sounds like something Azul would do. I wouldn't mind if he didn't return my magic," Floyd regarded in his signature drawl.

I craned my neck to try and look at him. "Really?" I asked bewildered.

"If I get tired of my voice, I could just sign another contract," Floyd nonchalantly smirked.

"You guys, I can hear you," Azul huffed.

What brought me attention away from the octotrio was the sound of crying. I locked on to the sad sunshine boy. Kalim sat with his head hung towards his needs. He blubbered, "Uh...huhhh...Jamil...I trusted you..."

I broke free from Floyd's grasp as I crawled over to the crying child. Floyd crossed his arms and tilted his head. "Huh? Sea Otter, are you crying? Your tears are gonna freeze."

"It's all my fault. I was hurting Jamil without even realizing it," Kalim wallowed as he wiped some tears. "Jamil...isn't that type of guy! He'd never do anything like this! He's good guy who always helps me and is so reliable and..."

"Good guys don't launch their friends to the ends of the earth," Yuu flatly pointed out as they rested their annoyed, bored expression in their hand.

"Eh?" Kalim paused in his misery to look at Yuu.

"And isn't this the exact behavior that hurt him? A real 'friend' wouldn't do this to you," they kept going.

"There they go being blunt again," Grim went wide eyed.

"Ah, but I agree with Shrimpy," Floyd scratched his head.

"Thank you, Floyd," Yuu waved a hand to him.

"Little Sea Otter is too nice sometimes...It's kinda...annoying..." Floyd's voice got slow and dark.

Kalim started, "Eh- annoy-?"

"That's right," Jade cut in with a frightenly cheerful smile. "If someone betrayed me like that, I would do everything in my power to emotionally and mentally break them, then tie them up and drown them in the sea."

There was a moment's pause. I nervously chuckled "Oh dear..."

Jade went on, "But, hearing you say it's your fault goes way past being a good person and almost comes off a bit creepy and uncomfortable."

"What is wrong with these two?" Yuu sighed.

"Creepy...No, but...Jamil would never betray me!" Kalim reiterated.

"Kalim..." I put a hand on his shoulder, "he betrayed you. Like...very blatant betrayal."

"More importantly, he tried to get rid of you and then blamed everything on you. He is the worst," Floyd chuckled.

"He makes Azul look nice by comparison," Jade scoffed with his brother. "You need to be confident and go up to him and call him a 'traitor' to his face."

"Yeah, confidence..." Yuu rolled their eyes. "I don't think that's a good idea."

Kalim was still freaking out. He kept tilting his head back and forth, his earrings jingling as he did. I sighed. I began reciting, "The angel's whisper in the night, the helping hand that delivers might, envelop the heart that aches for adventure. Darling Mother." The peachy aura surrounded me and caught Kalim in it.