Chapter 58

The game was almost over. It was eventful, to say the least. We had the lead by three points with four minutes left in the last quarter. "You guys are good. Especially number twenty-five," Florian commented. Floyd completed a successful lay-up, increasing the point gap. The number twenty-five was clearly visible on his jersey. "He hasn't even switched out from the beginning of the game."

"If he's in the mood for it, there isn't anything he can't do," I boasted. "Except give people their personal space."

"Time Out!" the RSA coach yelled.

"That's our last one," Florian sighed. The two teams huddled. I took the quick break to stretch my back.

We're almost done~! Haha! I'll be back before sunset, so I won't have to worry Yuu. The only thing that will make it better is if we win...If we win then I should get ready to be squeezed, hehe. A small smile crept onto my face. I caught myself and grabbed my pen. Why was I smiling? Hold up a second there, brain. Is there something you ain't telling me?

I scratched my scalp as the time out ended. "Alright Flo, it is crunch time. Things are going to go fast now."

The ball changed hands every ten seconds. I was glad Florian was there to help with the time board. It was obvious what the RSA coach told his player to do to achieve the upper hand. Everyone was guarding Floyd. It came close to having fouls called, but they always managed to skate the line.

"Come on..." Florian muttered. He was watching the game intently. He scribbled notes down as rebound after rebound happened. I was doing the same.

We got this. This may be Royal Sword Academy's last-ditch effort, but we got this in the bag.

After I finished my thought, an RSA student managed to get a three-pointer in. "I jinxed us..." I sighed as I begrudgingly wrote down who got the point.

"What did you say?" Florian asked.

"Don't worry about it," I waved him off as I changed the score board. "There is only a minute left."

Come one guys. You can do this!

I rooted for my team with a nervous sigh. As I focused on the court again, my eyes gravitated to Floyd. He was terrifying, and not in his usual goofy way. "Oh, pumpernickel on rye," I muttered.

"That is an...interesting phrase. Are you hungry?" Florian asked.

I gave him a pat on his shoulder, "No, but your team has my condolences."

"What?" Florian looked confused as the ref blew his whistle. Floyd had gotten another three-point shot. He put a hand on his shoulder as he rolled it back. Floyd looked down at the small, hare like opponent with wide eyes. "Did he just...?"

"Yep," I answered as I wrote down more data. The game started once more, and the squeaking of sneakers echoed again.

"Twenty seconds left," Florian pointed out with bated breath. The ball was in the RSA's hands. Even though we had the lead, I still had the anticipated jitters watching the end game.

Ten.

The RSA student took a shot withing the key of the of the court. It bounced off the back board. The ball swirled around the rim.

Nine.

It tipped off without going through the net. Phoebus caught the rebound. He made a dash to the other side of the court.

Eight.

An RSA player halted his advance. Phoebus stopped with a startled look in his eyes. "I'm opened!" Ace yelled out. Phoebus passed the ball. Ace dribbled around an opposing player with a flare.