Chapter 88

Kalim took a deep breath. He slumped his shoulders and looked at me with softened, puppy eyes. "W-what is this?"

"My unique magic. I get surrounded by my own magic. If others are close, they'll feel calm. I get a boost of energy from it. If I concentrate the aura on someone's wound, I can heal it...to a point," I explained. "It only lasts a few minutes, but I thought you needed to take a breather."

"Th-thank you..." Kalim tried to smile at me.

Azul looked on. He shifted in place and said, "People like Kalim who blindly have faith in others are different compared to people like Jamil and I. No, from people who are very calculating, it almost sounds like sarcasm. You've been pushing Jamil since you were little, acting like this." As Azul kept going, Kalim's agitation grew. It took a lot of concentration to keep the aura strong enough to keep him calm.

Great, just make my job harder...

"However, you didn't do anything wrong," Azul changed his dynamic. "You were just born a higher status than others. You were born with loving parents and loved by everyone around you, so you grew up a good person. Therefore, you became an unknowingly cavalier person."

"In Kalim's case, he seems like a naturally naïve person," Jade tacked on at the end.

"You guys...are terrible at comfort," I sighed. The time got close as I felt my head grow light. "Kalim, I have to stop now. Alright."

"...I see..." Kalim sighed. When I dropped my unique magic, Kalim had a resolved stare at the sand. "Jamil is a bad person...isn't he?"

"A very bad guy," Yuu confirmed.

"I still stand by calling him a dumb coconut head," I added as I played with my own braid.

"Then, we have to go back!" Kalim stood dramatically with a determined fist. "I have to punch him and call him a traitor!"

"One punch isn't enough! He made us march to the oasis ten times!" Grim huffed as he stomped his paw.

"If we're gonna punch him, I want in," I stood up too. "He is the reason, that I've been bleeding in a desert for nearly a WEEK!"

"What?!" Kalim looked at me with fear and worry.

"Don't worry about it," I rapidly waved off. I made my way to Yuu and helped them up as Azul stood.

"Yes. Besides, if we don't get Jamil back to normal, his own life will be at stake. We have to get back," He urged.

"And how are we gonna do that? Fast walk?" Floyd sassed the octomer. I stifled a laugh.

"I'm gonna freeze to death before we get back!" Grim panicked.

"You'll be fine," Yuu gave him a pat on the head.

"If there was a river, we could swim back. But...it seems all the rivers have dried up," Jade scanned the horizon.

"River? Do you want water?" Kalim asked innocently.

"Yes. If Floyd and Jade were in their original forms they can swim faster than any broom," Azul mentioned. "However, it'd be impossible for us to fill up this river."

"I can do it."

"Eh?!?!" all three merfolk stepped back from Kalim in shock.

Yuu snapped their finger. "What he showed us in the Oasis before!"

"Oh yeah..." I less enthusiastically recalled, "you unique magic..."

Kalim went in his own explanation, "My unique magic, 'Oasis Maker', can produce all the water I want with using only a little magic. If I can fill up the river, we can get back to the dorm, right?"

"What is this unique magic?!" Azul freaked out. "That is marvelous!"

"Ahaha!" Kalim gave his signature laugh. "The magic is pretty useless since we usually have water."

"Don't 'ahaha' me! This magic can be a hero to so many countries that don't have water!" Azul was intense. "That, that's...so profitable!!"

"Azul! Now is not the time to try and capitalize on natural resources!" Yuu scolded.

"Ahem!" Jade scleared his throat. "Aside from Azul's rudeness. Kalim. Can you please..."

"I just have to make a river! Alright! Leave it to me!" Kalim's magic shot up like how it did at the forgotten oasis. I only had a few moments before a downpour of water started to fill the nearby trench.

"Amazing!" Grim watched in awe. "The river is getting filled with water!"

"Hmmm," I tucked in on myself. I took my dorm uniform overcoat and wrapped it around me tightly. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two teel tails flick in the water.

"Now Floyd," Jade popped his head out of the rising water with his aquatic features. "Let's start swimming before the water freezes. Azul, Yuu, Grim, hop on."

"Sea Otter and Leafy Sea Dragon, you two hop on my back~" Floyd splashed closer. I flinched backwards. I could feel my breathing get faster.

"Huh? But isn't Azul a mermaid too? Can't he swim fast on his own?" Grim asked an honest question.

Jade jumped on the chance to tease his leader, "Even as a mermaid, Azul isn't a very fast swimmer."

"That's because my tentacles are different from yours," Azul huffed in defense. "Let's get moving to Scarabia!"

"Viv, you have to get on," Yuu whispered in my ear.

"I-I know..." I whispered back. I kept staring at the chopping water. I scratched the roots of my braids vigorously.

"Leafy~ you're scrunching your nose reeaaal tight," Floyd entered my line of sight and gave me a sharp toothed smile. "It's just your Pool Noodle~. No need to feel uncomfy! Heehee~"

I stared at him with the same intensity. Kalim was already on Floyd's back, positioned up above his dorsal fin.

He's right. He wouldn't let me drown. And even if he had a mood swing and let me fall in, Yuu would fight him tooth to fin. I got this.

I reached out and clasped his webbed hand. I smiled with my snaggle tooth. "Let's go get this Coconut Head."

I REGRET EVERYTHING!!!!!

I buried my face in Kalim's back as Floyd and Jade torpedoed down the river. Water was everywhere and I'm pretty sure I passed out for a portion.

"I hate water~..." I whimpered.