Chapter 95

I would be surer of myself with the task given to me if it wasn't for the fact that Floyd has been avoiding me since that night. He hasn't popped up behind me like a horror game villain, nor has he barreled towards me when I see him in the halls. It wasn't like he didn't see me either. I would wave and we'd make eye contact. Each time, he would look shocked, then scrunch his face and make a b-line away from me. Even if that meant jumping off a balcony! It was days since Phoebus had asked me to make sure he came to a practice before the game, but it was looking like he wouldn't be playing this time around.

I was sitting in the infirmary skulking in my mini desk in the corner. First period was PE, so I started my day taking inventory. I was tapping my magic pen on a notepad. My heart wasn't in recording how many bandages the nurse needed to reorder.

"Viv, you are making a rather large inkblot on the paper. You'll ruin the whole pad if it bleeds through," the nurse brought me out of my daze.

I looked down and sure enough there was a growing puddle of black ink in the middle of the paper. "Fluffing stuffing..." I sighed. I tore the page out and tried to salvage as much of the notepad as I could.

"Are you okay? You haven't been yourself the past few days."

I glanced up at the nurse and sighed again. "My friend has been ignoring me and I don't know why. I can't even go to him cause I mentally can't handle going to his dorm..."

The nurse nodded and sat beside me. "You're used to just following his whims dictating your free time, huh?"

"Huh," I stared at the floor with wide eyes. Looking back on the past few months, that was exactly what was happening. It was either Headmaster Crowley putting Yuu and I on a mission, someone dragging us into their mess, or I was hanging out with Floyd. "Yeah, I never really thought about it..."

"Friends need time to themselves too. Explore a hobby while you got the time," the nurse advised.

"I haven't even thought about my hobbies since I got here really. Well, except for during the midterms," I laughed. "I sang opera back home, so I told Leona that I'd sing some to him to keep him from sleeping if he didn't help Prefect Yuu and I."

"Wow, uh, that is a creative threat." The nurse changed the subject smoothly. "Did you have any other hobbies in your world?"

I sat back in my chair and placed my pen behind my ear. I sighed as I thought fondly of home. "Well, I would go wonder in the woods behind my house a lot. I'd end up foraging a bunch of stuff there. That's also how I got good at basic first aid. My grandma was really into etiquette, and I was close to her, so I ended up learning a lot of stuff like calligraphy."

"That's wonderful! Why don't you try doing some of those things while you got the time!" the nurse patted me on the back. "It will help you feel more at home here."

There was a slight pang in my chest at that statement. I smiled. "Yeah. I'll try." The bell chimed the end of first period, and I got up from my spot. I said farewell to the nurse headed to my next class. I kept pondering what they said.

I haven't had time for hobbies since waking up here. Neither does Yuu. They always spend the little free time they get searching for a way back to our world. Maybe I can help? Ugh, this just makes things more complicated. I want to sing, but I'm a soprano. That definitely would be hard to pass as androgynous. And it doesn't feel right doing something for fun while Yuu is still working.

I sighed as our little group walking into the cafeteria. Yuu put a hand on my shoulder. "You okay, Viv?"

I patted my head as I repositioned my braids. I gave Yuu the best smile I could muster. "Yeah, I'm fine. The nurse just had me doing a lot of inventory today."