𝙵𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚢 𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚛

warning: this chapter is so dramatic for no reason. Naomi just felt like being extra

-----

Fifty Four

+ + +

"Have you had contact with any illegal substances over the past 24 hours?" Dr. Whale asked her, studying her past medical records. 

Her appointment with Dr. Whale was going along smoothly so far. After she described her problem, he began conducting test after test after test. Some weren't medical, and were conducted by a warlock specialist. Everything came up negative or clear. By all medical standards, there was absolutely nothing wrong with her. She was fine. 

Naomi shook her head. "Nope."

"No alcohol? Potions? Witchy pain medicine?"

"Nothing. Do you think it may have something to do with the missing year?" She asked, sitting up straighter on the bed. 

Dr. Whale clicked his tongue and shook his head, not looking away from her documents. "Your guess is as good as mine. But I'd say no."

Naomi crossed her arms and leaned back against the wall. She was no medical professional, but wouldn't this stuff show up on at least one of the countless tests they had been running all day? They were getting nowhere. The appointment was becoming more tedious by the minute. 

She had explained to him every detail about the dreams. Yes, dreams. There had been a second one that previous night. In the same cave, at the same time of day, and with the same message from Pan. 

Don't worry. You're safe. I want to see you. I want to talk.

"I should tell you, Naomi, that people around town have been talking," Dr. Whale told her, finally setting the papers down and looking over at her. 

"What a shame. I like them better when they don't."

Dr. Whale barely smiled. "They've been talking about you. You understand by now how cautious we've all become. It's hard to trust our own neighbors, let alone someone who has been known to increasingly betray and cause pain among us. Excuse me for prodding, but it's merely a precaution. The people deserve to know the truth. Have you been experimenting in the magical recently?"

Naomi stared at him incredulously. "'The people deserve to know the truth'? Are you a reporter or a doctor?" She demanded. 

"It's a simple question," Dr. Whale said. 

"Are you even within license to ask me that? You people can't stay out of others' personal lives, can ya?" Naomi continued, narrowing her eyes at him. 

Dr. Whale glanced at his watch. "Ms. Jones, I have a schedule. The sooner you can answer this question, the closer you may be to an answer."

"I don't know what answer you're looking for, but I know mine won't be solved by whether or not I use magic."