𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚃𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

Twenty Three

+ + +

NURSES RUSHED HENRY'S BED THROUGH the halls of the hospital. Emma and Naomi both moved with the bed. If what he'd said about the apple was true, Henry was dying.

"Henry! Henry, can you here me?" Emma frantically asked as they brought him to a free room.

"Ma'am-" one of the nurses put a hand on Emma's arm. "You two are gonna have to leave-"

"No! We are not going anywhere!" Naomi told the nurse harshly as Dr. Whale came in. The nurse hastily left the room.

Dr. Whale looked at Henry's eyes. "There's no pupil response. What happened?"

"He ate this." Emma held up the apple turnover, which was now in a clear plastic bag. "I think it's poison."

Dr. Whale opened Henry's jaw. "His airway's clear." A nurse put a breathing mask over Henry's face. "Were there any convulsions or-"

"He took a bite of that and he collapsed!" Naomi exclaimed. "So run those damn tests to see if it was arsenic or bleach or whatever the hell could've done this!"

"He's shown no symptoms of neurotoxins in his system. So whatever it is," Dr. Whale grabbed the bag, "this is not the culprit."

"So what else could it be?" Emma demanded.

"I don't know. That's what we're trying to figure out," he told her.

Naomi watched as they pumped air into Henry's mouth and nose. "But he's going to be okay, right?"

"We can't tell for sure now," Dr. Whale told her gravely. "Is there anything else you can remember? Any little detail?"

"We already told you everything. Now do something!" Emma grabbed Henry's bag and dumped it out onto one of the other beds.

"I can understand your frustration, but until we know what's going on we can't do anything!" Dr. Whale told her.

Naomi watched as Emma's eyes landed on the storybook, which now lay on the bed. "It's like magic," Emma muttered, picking up the book. She dropped it a second later, just as Regina entered the room.

Both Naomi and Emma glared at the mayor. "Where's my son?" Regina demanded before Emma grabbed her by the arm.

"This is your fault," Emma muttered through clenched teeth. She dragged Regina into a nearby closet, Naomi at their heels.

Once inside the closed closet, Naomi shoved Regina into one of the shelves. "You did this!" The teen shouted angrily, punching her in the face. Regina tried to move away, but Emma caught her and shoved her against a wall.

"I didn't-"

"The apple turnover! He ate it!" Emma told her, pinning one of Regina's arms up.

"What?" Regina asked quietly, shocked. "That was meant for you!"