𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚃𝚠𝚘

Twenty Two

+ + +

TWO DAYS LATER, AUGUST had helped Mary Margaret and Emma attach a large, wooden lock to the apartment door. They would not let Regina get into the apartment again. Now there the two women and Naomi stood, admiring August's handiwork. "No one's getting through that," he told them as he demonstrated it. 

Naomi scoffed. "When did you start installing torture chamber locks?"

"You don't like it?" August cocked an eyebrow. 

"I don't care what it looks like, as long as it keeps Regina and her skeleton keys out," Mary Margaret said. 

Emma nodded. "This seems pretty handy for a writer. Where'd you learn how to do all this?" 

"Woodshop. Eight grade."

"Oh, speaking of school, I have to get ready!" Mary Margaret said, moving into the kitchen to pour herself some coffee, along with Naomi. 

The girl took a sip of her coffee before asking, "Are you sure you're ready to go back?"

"After spending weeks behind bars, what can a room of fourth graders do to me?" Mary Margaret asked, smiling. Then she looked to Emma. "Besides, aren't you the one who we should be worried about?"

"Well, you did threaten to take Henry away from Regina," August spoke up as he put away his tools. 

Emma turned to face him seriously. "Oh, that wasn't a threat. I'm hiring Mr. Gold to help build a case against her," she announced. 

Everyone stayed silent, and Emma gave Mary Margaret a look. "She framed you for murder!" 

"But you know what happens if you win?" Mary Margaret asked softly. 

"Yeah." Emma nodded. 

"Do you think you're ready to be his mom?" Naomi asked. It wasn't that she was trying to discourage Emma from adopting Henry, because she had realized it would be for the best. She just wanted Emma to be sure

Emma looked at the teen sincerely. "Yeah."

Naomi smiled as Mary Margaret moved to grab her coat and August left the apartment. Today was the one day of the week Naomi was off from work. She could stay at home, chill, maybe search for-

"Code Red!" Henry's voice came from Emma's communication unit. Naomi frowned. "Emma, meet me at Granny's. Code Red! Operation Cobra!"

Emma sighed and stood up. "You coming?" She asked Naomi, who promptly shook her head. 

"Tell me if she does anything crazy," the teen told Emma before heading upstairs to her room, coffee mug in hand. 

Emma picked up the comm. "On my way," she spoke into it before leaving.