𝙴𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Eighteen

+ + +

NAOMI WAS WORKING AT THE diner the next day, taking an order for a customer. She nodded, jotting down the request, and tucked the order book into her apron, heading to the back.

Today was Miner's Day, and Mary Margaret was supposed to be doing something for the nuns. It was traditional, but given circumstances... Naomi wasn't overly confident people would be eager to help her. Naomi joined Ruby behind the counter when Mary Margaret walked into the diner, holding a clipboard. The teen frowned and leaned forward against the counter.

Mary Margaret cleared her throat loudly. "Excuse me," she said. People ignored her voice. "May I have everyone's attention!" She raised her voice. Still, no one paid her any attention.

Naomi rolled her eyes. "Shut it!" She yelled, grabbing their attention. The teen nodded in Mary Margaret's direction, clearing her throat. People immediately silenced. All eyes turned to the woman.

Mary Margaret shifted uneasily. None of the looks she was given were kind and attentive, more like grudged and full of blame. "I'm sorry to interrupt your morning," Mary Margaret stuttered anxiously, "but I just wanted to remind you all of a very special occasion today: Miner's Day."

One could practically feel the anxiousness radiating off of Mary Margaret as she continued. "As always, the nuns of Storybrooke hope that everyone will get involved and help sell their exquisite candles. All we need are a few energetic volunteers," she explained. "So who wants to join me?"

It was silent for a moment befire everyone in the diner turned away and resumed their eating. Naomi whistled quietly. Awkward.

A man from the counter stood up and headed to the door. Leroy. The town drunk, who always had a temper and never tipped. Him and Mary Margaret shared a few words Naomi couldn't hear, and Leroy pushed out of the door, leaving a downcast Mary Margaret.

Naomi sighed and took her apron off as Mary Margaret left the diner. Naomi turned to Ruby. "I'm gonna take a quick break," she told Ruby, coming out from behind the counter and following Mary Margaret outside.

"Hey!" The teen called, hurrying to catch up with Mary Margaret. "May I join you?"

Mary Margaret glanced back when Naomi approached her and gave her a small nod. Naomi sighed as they walked in silence for a moment. "So, Miner's Day, huh? Why are you beating yourself up about it?"

"It's traditional. The party is amazing, you know everyone loves it," Mary Margaret said simply.

"It's not Miner's Day they hate." Mary Margaret paused and looked sideways at Naomi. "It's me."

Naomi nodded. "Well, how many volunteers do you have?"

Mary Margaret sighed. "We had ten. They all dropped out yesterday."