𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝙵𝚒𝚟𝚎

Thirty Five

+ + +

THE RESIDENTS OF THE LOFT sat together for breakfast, all except Mary Margaret. She had not left her bed since the incident the previous day. It had entirely broken her. 

Naomi felt like she was partially to blame. She could have worked harder to convince Mary Margaret against action. She could have begged to do the deed herself. She should have done something when she realized that Mary Margaret had left the shop. 

Naomi's own heart was already damaged. She could have saved someone she loved from the same fate. 

+ + +

Neal, Emma, and Naomi had made it back to the pawn shop too late. They stumbled inside an hour later. The sight they came across was both shocking and disturbing. 

David knelt next to Mary Margaret, who silently wept on the floor of the shop. Regina had already left by then. Mr. Gold stepped out from the back and gave the group an acknowledging look. He was, by the looks of it, very much alive. 

"Have her out of here by closing time, if you don't mind," Mr. Gold told David. He ignored the disgusted look on Naomi's face at his rather disrespectful remark. Without a second glance at his son, who had feared for his life not even a minute earlier, he left through the side door. 

Neal glared out the door as Mr. Gold left without another word. Naomi gave her friend a small and reassuring smile despite the circumstances. It was funny how Mr. Gold and Neal could go from loving and anxious to silent and cold. It reminded her of herself from the Enchanted Forest. 

Emma sighed and knelt beside Mary Margaret. At first she did not notice her daughter, but Mary Margaret flung herself onto Emma after a moment. Her sobs were heartbroken and full of regret. Naomi bit her lip and exchanged a glance with David. 

Cora was dead. By the looks of it, Mary Margaret had no one to blame but herself. She really had gone through with it. She had been the cause of Cora's death. 

"Where's Regina?" Emma asked. David shrugged. She was gone, that was all that mattered. 

Naomi joined them on the floor and placed a hand on Mary Margaret's back. "What happened?"

Mary Margaret wiped away a few tears and shook her head. "I did it! I made Regina kill her own mother!" She exclaimed, slightly rocking back and forth. Naomi sighed and hugged her. If only she had waited, Naomi could have done something herself. 

"I used the candle and took Cora's life in return for Gold's. I cursed her heart..." Mary Margaret admitted, staring into Emma's worried eyes. "I told Regina if she returned her mother's heart to her body she'd be able to fully love her. I made Regina kill her own mother!"