𝙽𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Nineteen

+ + +

NAOMI STOOD AT A TABLE with Ruby, who had become engrossed with interrogating the strange Leather Man. They'd learned his name was August, which was a start. Ruby had been asking him for the past ten minutes about his travels. Apparently, August didn't like to stay put.

     "That's insane! A whole year without a roof over your head?" Ruby asked, amazed. August nodded, making Naomi arch an eyebrow.

     "You get used to it," he shrugged. "Besides, I always had my bike. If I didn't like somewhere too much..." He made a motion and sound like zooming off into he distance.

     "Ruby," Granny called said girl to her from where she stood, leaning over the account book. Naomi glanced back with a scoff when Ruby completely ignored her grandmother.

     "Where was your favorite place?" She asked, putting her hands on the table.

     "Nepal. Nice people," August answered. Naomi tilted her head in curiosity. "They have these prayer temples on the mountains that are overrun by lemurs."

Ruby frowned. "What's a lemur?"

     Granny called her over again, louder this time. She groaned and waved back to her grandmother. "Just a second!" She exclaimed, then turned her focus back to August.

     "They're these little animals-" August started to explain, but Naomi cut him off eagerly.

    "They have eyes that reflect light," she explained to Ruby. "When it's night time and all dark, it looks like the eyes glow. They're really amazing!" Naomi remembered reading about them one time when she'd been bored. August nodded approvingly to Naomi.

     Ruby smiled. "Incredible. I've never even been out of Storybrooke," she muttered.

     "Ruby!" Granny called once again, making her whip around. "Stop flirting and get over here!"

     Ruby sighed and went over to where her grandmother stood. Naomi grinned and turned back to August. "It must be pretty cool, huh? According to Henry, you're the second person who's come to Storybrooke from the outside. You and Emma are the special ones."

     August shrugged and motioned for her to sit down in the seat across from him, and she did that. "The kid must have some imagination," he said, taking a sip from his coffee.

     Naomi scoffed and nodded, glancing down. "You have no idea."

     August tilted his head. "Do you believe him?" The teen gave August a look as if to say "Seriously?" Instead, she stayed silent and shrugged nonchalantly. "Is it fun being a writer?" She asked, wanting to change the subject.