𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚟𝚎

Twelve

Twelve

+ + +

NAOMI HAD RECEIVED THE call that Graham was dead that night. It hit her hard. She'd been sitting on her bed, reading, when the sheriff's office called. It was Emma on the other end. She said she thought Naomi deserved to know the truth before the warbled story got out in the paper.

Naomi had to admit, she had been feeling envious of Emma those past few days. But now the woman had given her the truth instead of letting her believe the bullcrap the press was soon to give out. Naomi silently thanked her for that.

And there she sat two weeks later, thinking about just that. Her and Henry were sitting in his castle, an old wooden play castle on the beach. Emma approached them, carrying two communication radios and one leather jacket. Naomi bit her lip and hugged her arms. They were Graham's.

"Brought you something," she said, handing Naomi the jacket. "Thought we could use these for Operation Cobra," she added, handing Henry one of the radios.

Naomi sighed, holding the jacket. Emma sat down next to Henry. "Thanks," Henry mumbled.

"Hey, what's up?" Emma asked, nudging his arm. "You've been stalking me for weeks."

Henry sighed. "I think we should stop with the Cobra stuff for a while," he told her. "You don't mess with the curse. Look what happened to Graham."

Emma sighed. "I told you, they did an autopsy. Completely natural causes."

"Ok, whatever. You don't believe. Good. That should keep you from messing with it," Henry said. He looked up at her. "And getting killed."

"Henry, you're worried about me?" Emma asked.

"Both of you," Henry said, acknowledging Naomi. "She killed Graham because he was good. And you're good."

Naomi looked up for the first time. He'd called her good. Didn't he think she was a murderer in the story book? Not that she was starting to believe it, but it was still odd.

"Henry-" Emma started, but he cut her off.

"Good loses. Good always loses," Henry told her. "Because good has to play fair. Evil doesn't. This is probably for the best."

At that, Naomi stood up and left, heading away from the beach. She held on tightly to Graham's jacket, tears brimming her eyes. It'd been so long since she had last cried. And Naomi let the tears fall down her face.

+ + +

That afternoon, when Naomi lay in bed thinking, she heard the door open and slam shut. She doubted it was Mary Margaret. A minute later loud music was turned on, making Naomi groan. She went downstairs to see what Emma was doing.

Emma was in the kitchen, destroying the toaster. Naomi's eyes widened and stepped up to the counter.

"Did the toaster insult you?" She asked. Emma shrugged.