𝚂𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Sixteen

+ + +

IT WAS VALENTINE'S DAY, and Naomi was working with Ruby at the diner, watching from afar as Mary Margaret and David had a conversation.

"You got the book!" Mary Margaret observed. She sat at a single table, while David sat at the booth next to it.

"Uh, yeah. It's great," David said, smiling and nodding. "Just started it. Can't wait to see how it ends."

Ruby went over to pour Mary Margaret more coffee. "Uh, I can push the tables together if-"

"Oh no!" Mary Margaret and David said at once. "We're not together."

Naomi chuckled and looked over from the glass of water she was filling as Emma sat down at Mary Margaret's table. "Hey Mary Margaret," said the blonde cheerily.

Naomi rolled her eyes, and the water spilled over the top of the glass. She muttered a curse under her breath, quickly soaking up the water and handing it to the customer.

"So, how's your day been going?" Emma asked, eating one of Mary Margaret's fries.

"Henry's fine," Mary Margaret told her. Naomi sighed and ran a hand through her hair. She didn't know why she found it so interesting to listen in on other peoples' conversations, but it was. 

"Come on, that's not what I asked you," Emma said, glancing over to where Naomi stood. The teen gave a small wave. Mary Margaret gave Emma a look, and Naomi pulled up a chair to their table.

"You sure?" Emma asked.

Naomi nodded, though not solemnly. "Henry's fine. He's his normal self," she told Emma. "Regina won't be able to keep you separated forever."

"And when people are meant to be together," Mary Margaret added, sharing a glance with David, "they always find a way."

"So he's just his normal self?" Emma asked again. "He's okay, he's happy?"

Naomi scoffed and rolled her eyes. "No! He misses you like hell! I should know, I'm with him four hours of the day. He won't shut up about you!"

"Four hours?" A familiar voice asked from the counter. A young, blonde woman glanced back at them, handing a baby to Granny. "I would love four hours off."

Naomi smiled at her old friend. "Ashley! I didn't even recognize you," Emma said.

Ashley shrugged and pulled up a chair. "Yeah, with the baby on the outside..."

"How's it been going?" Naomi asked.

"It's a... It's a..." Ashley hesitated, looking from each woman at the table. "I mean, the baby's great! We haven't really had time for the whole 'getting married' thing, so if, that's been rough."