𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝙴𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Thirty Eight

+ + +

EMMA AND DAVID BURST into the mayor's office, guns ready. After a moment of inspection, they concluded vacancy. "It's alright, she's not here," Emma shouted. 

Mary Margaret, Naomi, and Henry followed into the large office. Naomi looked around; the electric fireplace was burning, the desk seemed to be clear, and in a corner stood a large glass incubator to keep the stolen piece of beanstalk healthy and thriving. 

"When you find her, you're not gonna hurt her, right?" Henry asked nervously. 

"No, we just want the beans she stole," Emma assured him. She moved to check the alarm system that hadn't gone off. All guns were put away. 

Mary Margaret and Henry studied the incubator. "I don't get it. Why would Regina keep her office unlocked?" Mary Margaret asked. 

"Especially when she's keeping the beans here," David added. Naomi studied the plant. There was not one bean in sight. 

"Was keeping them here," Naomi said. She looked back to Emma. "What if she already used them to make a portal out of Storybrooke?"

Emma scoffed. "Without Henry? I don't think so."

"What if something bad happened to her?" Henry asked. Mary Margaret put a hand on his shoulder. 

Emma shook her head. "This says someone was last in here at six. They used an override code to get in," she reported, looking at the alarm log. "Why would Regina need an override code on her own office?"

"So you think someone else took the beans?" David asked. 

Henry's eyes widened. "So something bad did happen to her?"

"We're gonna find her, Henry. I promise," Emma told him. 

"There's only one person with the ability to overthrow Regina: Gold," Mary Margaret said. 

Naomi shook her head. "He's too busy with his new/old girlfriend," she muttered in distaste. 

Belle had recently been released from the hospital when she got her memories back. They were the memories she was supposed to have during the curse; Lacey. She was a skimpy bar regular who seemed to support the ways of the Dark One. If Belle hadn't been locked up in the basement of the hospital for 28 years, that's who she would've been. 

Emma nodded in thought. "Right.... This, this was Tamara."

The adults in the room sighed. Lately Emma had convinced herself Tamara had been responsible for August's near death, could not be trusted, and was scheming something evil all because her "superpower" told her so. Naomi suspected she was just paranoid. That, or she needed an explanation for what had happened.