I want...

Stiles tried not to fidget under Derek's touch. It felt odd, like he was doing something wrong. Maybe it was because Derek was technically his boss, or the fact that he and Derek had a barely civil relationship, or maybe it was Mr. tall dark and handsome on the other side of him. Whatever it was had him counting the minutes until he was away from this table. He couldn't even concentrate on the man talking on stage.

Derek's thumb began to gently rub along his shoulder. Stiles tried desperately not to show the tension he was feeling. It just all felt too...genuine. Derek had relaxed into his seat some, his eyes set on the stage,, his arm thrown gently around Stiles' shoulder, rubbing it as if he were unaware he was even doing it.

Stiles was seconds from excusing himself from the table just to catch his breath, when the room erupted into applause, pulling Derek's arm from around him. The awards had come to an end it seemed. Stiles tried not to look as startled as he was.

"Let dinner be served," The man on the stage gestured to the back of the room where waiters began flooding in with serving trays.

"Excuse me," Stiles pushed away from the table abruptly. He beelined for the bathroom.

Derek frowned after Stiles. He seemed off suddenly.

"I do hope me being here isn't a problem for him," Elijah leaned over, his face covered in a genuinely concerned expression.

"I just don't think either of us were expecting it," Derek answered simply before turning to his boss, "I'll be right back."

"Take your time," Stefan waved a hand as he winked at the waitress pouring his glass of wine.

Stiles leaned on the bathroom sink and took a deep breath, closing his eyes. He felt better, less trapped. He didn't understand why he was so uncomfortable. He'd pretended to date Lydia once when they went out and she was being hit on when she didn't want it. He'd pretended to be Isaac's date when his brother got married so he didn't have to be hit on by the best man. He was just that friend. Why was this any different? Maybe because it was Derek. Derek wasn't a close friend like Lydia or Isaac.

"You okay?" Derek's voice startled Stiles. His eyes flew open to see Derek behind him with a look he'd never seen on the man before. Concern.

"I didn't hear you come in," Stiles glanced at the closing door behind Derek.

"Look, I know that I sprung this on you, but I promise to make it worth your time," Derek didn't look away from Stiles.

"You aren't gonna get in trouble are you? I mean...you're technically my boss. Isn't that like...not allowed," Stiles waved a hand around as he spoke.

"There's no rule against it. As long as it's kept professional in the office," Derek shrugged.

"Okay," Stiles nodded. That still didn't make him feel better though.

"It's just for the night. We don't ever have to talk about it again," Derek's expression turned to one of desperation, like he was afraid Stiles wouldn't go along with it anymore.

"You still have feelings for him?" Stiles asked. At least he could know where Derek's head was at.

Derek stiffened, "It's not about that."

"Then what's it about? You want to make him jealous, right?" Stiles frowned. He didn't miss the way Derek's jaw clenched.

"Surely you know what it's like to run into an ex with their date...It's easier when you're with someone too."

Stiles smirked, "You don't want to seem like you're still hung up on him."

Derek's jaw clenched again.