The part that...

Derek watched as Stiles dug his heels into the hard orange colored dirt, his bat up and hanging over his shoulder, poised and ready to swing.

The loud thwap as the ball hit Stiles' bat was calming to Derek. He hadn't hit a baseball since freshman year of college. He would likely be out of practice.

Stiles, however, wasn't a day out of practice.

"You come out here often?" Derek asked, leaning against the wall roughly five feet from Stiles.

"Only when you piss me off," Stiles shrugged as he repositioned the bat over his shoulder.

The ball sped towards him, but Stiles was quick. The bat connected once again.

Derek watched as the ball soared into the outfield and passed the fence.

"I must have pissed you off often," Derek rose his brows.

Stiles spun on his heels; a wide smile plastered on his face. He shrugged, not bothering to give a proper answer.

Derek's stomach twisted in frustration, "Why did you agree to this?" he snapped.

"Agree to what?" Stiles asked, not looking away from the pitching machine.

"Dating me."

"As I recall, I didn't have a choice," Stiles grunted as he swung, the bat connecting with ease.

"You had a choice. And I offered you an out."

"At the expense of me looking like a jealous asshole? No thanks," Stiles rolled his eyes, "Besides, how else was I going to get that time off?"

"What's so important about that time off?" Derek asked, as Stiles stepped back, gesturing for Derek to take his place at the home plate.

"My dad comes to visit once a year, I didn't ask for the time off last year because I'd only been working with you for a month or so," Stiles answered, leaning his bat against the wall.

"I would have given you the time off if you just told me why."

"When I initially asked, you said it depended on what we had going on at the time. It didn't sound promising. And you've denied every other day I've asked off."

Derek swung and was surprised to see the bat connect.

"You're important. I need you there."

"Are you really that incapable of handling things yourself?" Stiles scoffed.

Derek sighed, tossing Stiles a glance, "I could, but I feel better knowing you're in charge of handling things. I trust that they'll get done."

"So you'd rather give me the time off I requested and have to handle things yourself than let Elijah see you single?"

Derek swung his bat hard, sending his next ball soaring past the gate.

"You see what he's like."

Stiles noted the extra heft behind Derek's swing but decided not to mention it. He'd specifically brought Derek out here to let out his frustrations.

"He's...complicated, I'll give you that," Stiles said instead.

"He's an asshole,"

"Like attracts like," Stiles grinned, earning a glare from Derek.

"No seriously though, why'd you date him?"

"He was sweet when he wasn't flirting with everyone around him. He understood my love of the job. He was doting. He was great...at first."