Fun

Painting wasn't Derek's strong suit, but the instructor made it look so easy. He followed along; his eyes focused on the woman at the front of the room as she explained how to get different strokes based on how you hold the paintbrush.

"Hey, loosen up, this is supposed to be fun. You're treating this like a college class," Stiles nudged Derek's posed arm.

Derek only then noticed the tension he was holding in his shoulders and the frown tugging at his features as he paid attention to instruction.

"Sorry, I just want to do a good job," He shrugged, his arm dropping away.

"Why? It's not about doing a good job. It's about having fun," Stiles lifted his wine glass to his lips.

Derek looked down at his own untouched glass. He'd forgotten it was even there.

"Right, fun," Derek nodded, setting his brush aside in favor of the alcohol.

The instructor started to make her rounds, giving hints and tips as she did.

This allowed Derek to let out a deep breath. He watched as Stiles swiped his brush across his canvas with ease. It wasn't a masterpiece, but you could easily tell he was painting a tree; a large bright moon peering behind it.

"Have you done this before?" Derek asked, leaning towards Stiles, his voice low.

"Yeah, a few of us from work got a group together for Lydia's birthday once and so we do a session every once in a while," He nodded.

"Is that how you got in last minute?" Derek asked, glancing towards the approaching instructor.

"Maybe," Stiles answered with a wide smile as the blonde reached their table.

"Stiles, good to see you again," The blonde put a hand on Stiles' shoulder affectionately.

Stiles leaned back in his chair, forcing her hand to fall away, "Hey Jenna, thanks for the last-minute spots."

"No worries, I hope you don't mind the back, I couldn't get you closer," She gave a cutesy pout.

"Nah, I think it's perfect. This one's a little shy anyway," Stiles gestured towards Derek.

Jenna glanced to Derek as if noticing him for the first time.

"Derek, this is Jenna. Jenna, this is my boyfriend, Derek," he announced proudly.

Derek's grip on the wine glass tightened as the words left Stiles' mouth. He had not expected him to announce him as such. And it was clear by the look on Jenna's face that she hadn't been either.

"Oh," the disappointment in her tone didn't go unnoticed. "I didn't realize you were seeing someone."

Derek's jaw grit. She wasn't just a friendly instructor, she liked Stiles.

"Like I said, he's shy," Stiles reached over and rubbed Derek's thigh before giving a reassuring squeeze.

Derek took a large swig of wine.

"Well, I'll let you two continue," Jenna gave a forced smile before stepping past them.

"You okay?" Stiles asked, immediately removing his hand.

"I just...wasn't expecting that introduction. Especially since it's obvious she likes you," Derek commented, setting the glass down.

"That's exactly why I introduced you that way. I want you to know that I'm going to prioritize you even if it's not real," Stiles turned back to his painting, "Besides, what kind of boyfriend would I be if I flirted with someone else in front of you?" he scoffed.