Charity Event

Stiles stared blankly at his computer. He had things he needed to get done but his mind was too occupied with thoughts of Derek. He had thought pretending to date Derek would be a challenge what with their track record for getting on each other's nerves. However, now that he was seeing a side of Derek he hadn't, a side that seemed to be more true to who he was, Stiles was struggling. He found himself worrying if Derek was okay when he was forced to speak to Elijah. He wanted to reach out when Derek was frustrated. He wanted to text him goodnight. Stiles wanted to date Derek for real. He knew Derek didn't see him that way. This was an agreement.

"Stiles, I'll be working through lunch so can you make a run somewhere?"

Stiles' attention was suddenly pulled to Derek, who was standing in front of his desk.

"Yeah," he responded dumbly.

"You okay?" Derek frowned down at him.

"Yeah." Stiles forced a small smile.

Derek looked like he wanted to say something else but instead he gave a curt nod before turning towards his office.

Stiles watched him go before dragging his hand over his face. The coffee from earlier hadn't been enough.

A ping on Stiles' computer made him drop his hand. A reminder popped up on his screen.

'Charity event'

Stiles pushed away from his desk and grabbed his notepad.

"Hey, got a second?" he tapped on Derek's open door.

Derek waved his hand, not looking up from his computer.

"I just wanted to remind you of the charity event you agreed to attend this Friday."

Derek paused.

"I have written here that you want a Navy-blue suit. I'll check with Ethan and see if it's ready. Is there anything else that you need?"

"You," Derek said.

Stiles' pen was poised and ready, but Derek's answer froze him in place.

"I'm sorry?"

"I can't show up without you."

"Is Elijah going to be there?" Stiles frowned.

"I hadn't thought of it at the time of saying yes, but he was always eager to attend those kinds of events."

"I can cancel if you want but—"

"No, that won't be necessary," Derek cut in.

"So what do you want me to wear?"

"Well, we should match." Derek's eyes scanned Stiles.

"Okay, what if we put me in a black suit, I already have one, and a navy button down."

"I like it. Have one of the girls get you a navy tie as well."

"Uh, are there any...rules?" Stiles shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

"Rules?" Derek raised a brow in question.

"Yeah like...for us. I don't know what is or isn't allowed when it comes to..." Stiles gestured between them.

Derek clasped his hands together on his desk. He watched as Stiles' pen hovered over his notepad, ready to write down whatever Derek said. He pushed down the frustration he felt. He couldn't blame Stiles. He was simply doing his job. Dating Derek was just...a job.

"I don't want to say or do the wrong thing," Stiles continued when Derek didn't respond.

"Just do and say whatever you would if you were actually dating me."