Come between us

Derek whirled around on Stiles once they reached the hallway. The ding of the nearby elevator was drowned out by Derek’s harsh tone.

“What the hell, Stiles? You agreed to dinner with Elijah and didn’t think to tell me?”

Stiles leaned his back against the wall, crossing his arms over his chest.

“I told you, I had every intention of telling you, I just…didn’t get around to it. He only asked me last night. He actually wanted to go last night but I had to finish the proof, so I said no. He was insistent.”

Derek scrubbed a hand over his mouth, dragging tense fingers through the stubble on his jaw.

“He’s doing this intentionally,” Derek grit out, he glanced towards the still closed door to their office as if Elijah was standing on the other side.

“Doing what?” Stiles threw his arms up, straightening from the wall.

“Trying to come between us,” Derek hissed, his eyes darting to a woman in a pantsuit that was walking by, headed for the elevators.

“Come between-Derek, we’re not actually together,” Stiles gestured between them as if Derek needed the reminder.

“He doesn’t know that.”

“Okay…but why are you worried if there’s nothing to come between?” Stiles narrowed his eyes at Derek as he tried to find the logic in Derek’s concern.

“Because when you inevitably fall for his charms, he wins,” Derek took a step closer, his voice a hushed shout.

“Wins what?” Stiles’ tone matched Derek’s as a group of people walked by.

“Whatever game he’s playing.”

Stiles scoffed a laugh, “Do you think maybe he’s just trying to be nice? Maybe there is no game.”

“You don’t know him like I do,” Derek’s shoulders stiffened.

Pinching the bridge of his nose Stiles sighed, “Okay, so say he is…playing some game. What is he gonna get out of it?”

“I don’t…I don’t know,” Derek’s head dropped.

Stiles schooled himself as he tried to remain patient with Derek. It was clear to him that Derek was genuinely concerned.

“Look, he seemed awfully…caring in your office earlier. Maybe he wants you back,” Stiles offered.

“He dumped me after five years…doesn’t even remember how long we’ve been broken up, and you think he wants to get back together?” Derek snapped.

Stiles’ arm flew into the air, “What else could he want? Why else would he try and ‘come between us’? It’s not like he’s into me.”

Derek’s shoulders slumped, “I don’t know…I just don’t…I don’t trust him.”

“Okay so then what should I have done in that situation?” Stiles crossed his arms over his chest again, “Tell him that I couldn’t have dinner with him because his ex is a jealous asshole?”

Derek huffed, his lip pressing into a thin line.

“Look, I don’t know how to be in a relationship with you. You’re uptight and-“ Stiles flailed his arms again as if the words would reach him that way.

“I don’t mean to pry but I know a wonderful couple’s therapist that I can recommend,” A woman in her early sixties piped in. She held a briefcase in her finely manicured hand and her pantsuit probably cost as much as Derek’s.