Leave early

Derek's eyes were closed so he didn't notice Stiles walking down the hall towards him, arms full of the images they'd been sorting through earlier.

"Derek?" Stiles' voice made Derek's eyes snap open, and his posture straighten.

The frown on Stiles' face smoothed into a look of realization, "You okay?" he asked tentatively.

Derek opened his mouth to lie but what came out was, "I hate him."

Stiles' brows shot up. He'd been expecting the denial, the façade, anything but the vulnerability he was getting.

"You uh," Stiles glanced down at the phone in his hand, "Don't have anymore meetings today. I can finish up here and you can head out early. It's only an hour and a half." He doubted Derek would go for it. He rarely if ever left work early without reason but he needed it.

"Come with me," Derek answered quickly.

"I'm sorry?" Stiles blinked at Derek. He clearly wasn't thinking...clearly.

"Let's grab an early dinner," Derek took a step forward, his eyes hopeful.

Stiles only gaped. Derek wanted them both to leave early...to have dinner...together.

"Did he do something?" Stiles stepped forward, lowering his voice.

Derek let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping slightly, "You're right, I'm being dramatic."

Stiles blinked, shaking his head, "What? I didn't say that at all. I'd love to have an early dinner with you, it's just...not the norm for you."

Stiles didn't miss the tortured look in Derek's eyes. The tiredness, the heartbreak.

"He gets under my skin," Derek spoke quietly.

Stiles gave a snort, "Noted."

He expected a jeer in return but Derek continued to look tortured.

"Why don't you head out and just let me wrap up a couple things, I'll swing by and pick you up in an hour?"

Derek nodded, "Should I call in somewhere and make reservations or-"

"No, tonight's on me. I'm gonna take your mind off of things, you just get out of this stuffy suit," Stiles tugged gently on the lapel of Derek's jacket.

Derek's lips pulled into a tiny smile, "Okay."

"Okay," Stiles repeated before stepping by Derek.

Derek made his way to his office to pack up his things, eager to get out of there. He hated that Elijah did this to him. He loved his job and Elijah was making him dread it.

He slipped his designs into his case along with his laptop and the template designs Lydia had left for him to approve.

"Derek, I had a question about the photographer that-Are you leaving?" Elijah's voice made Derek tense.

He looked up to see Elijah standing in his door.

"Yes," Derek answered simply as he zipped up his bag.

"An hour and a half early?" Elijah glanced at the clock. Derek had never left early when they dated, not unless it was absolutely necessary.

"Stiles is taking me to dinner, we decided to head out a bit earlier," Derek's shoulder's straightened as he braced for Elijah's remarks.

"You're leaving early because you have a date?" Elijah couldn't believe his ears.

"It's still early enough in the project that we don't have to worry too much about time constraints yet," Derek made his way towards the door, hoping Elijah would simply let him pass.