Ended it

Stiles watched Elijah's eyes follow Derek down the hall until he was out of sight, before landing on him.

"My being here seems to be stressful for him," Elijah sighed.

"Is that a surprise to you?" Stiles scoffed.

Elijah didn't look away from Stiles. A tick at the corner of his lips told Stiles he was holding back a smirk.

"I didn't think it'd be an issue what with you two being together and all."

Stiles' jaw clenched. Was he implying Stiles wasn't enough? Or was he digging for proof that it wasn't real?

"Well, our relationship is still new. Six months may seem like a long time, but we have been taking things slow. You two have only been broken up for about a year."

"You think he's still hurt?" Elijah frowned.

Stiles narrowed his eyes, either he was oblivious, or he was trying to get under Stiles' skin.

"Is that a joke?" Stiles practically snapped.

"It wasn't a particularly messy break up," Elijah sat back in his chair like he was contemplating something.

"What happened?" Stiles dared ask. He had assumed it was a messy break up.

"We...drifted. At the beginning he was...well you know. Sweet, gentle, doting. But then...work started to get to him more, you know? He was always talking about it. I wanted to go dancing and travel. He...couldn't be bothered."

"So, he changed?" Stiles crossed his arms. Elijah was for sure leaving out details.

"Well...according to him...I pulled away. I 'sought attention elsewhere' or so he said."

"You cheated," Stiles raised a brow.

"No," Elijah snapped. "I never cheated. I was loyal to him every moment. I admit I flirted a lot but nothing else."

Stiles tilted his head, "So what, you just ended it instead of working it out?"

Elijah scoffed a laugh, "Is that what he told you?"

"I'm merely putting pieces together here," Stiles put his hands up in defense. He could see that the conversation was bothering Elijah.

"I didn't end it, he did," Elijah pushed away from the table, the metal chair screeching across the stone floor.

Stiles watched Elijah stalk out of the room. He sat confused. Why would Derek have ended it? Didn't Derek say Elijah ended it?

Worry crept up the back of Stiles' mind. What if it was a miscommunication and neither one actually ended it. What if they both still wanted to be together? What if Derek broke up with Stiles and got back together with Elijah?

His stomach rolled in a way he didn't like. "We're not actually together," he reminded himself aloud. "He can be with Elijah if he wants."

Despite the words he spoke into the empty room, a gnawing at his chest didn't let the worry settle.

-

Derek started back towards the room he'd left Stiles and Elijah when Elijah whirled around the corner almost slamming straight into him.

"Elijah," Derek noted the irritation and discomfort in his shoulders. What had Stiles done.

"Derek," Elijah's shoulders dropped some.

"What's wrong?" Derek reached a hand out but stopped before it could reach Elijah's arm.

Elijah noted the hesitation. Anger surged through him once more.

"Are you telling everyone I ended this relationship?" He gestured between him and Derek.

Derek's brows raised, "Excuse me?"

"I just spoke with Stiles, and he thinks I ended it," Elijah snapped, his arms crossing over his chest.

"Why were you talking to Stiles about us?" Derek's shoulders stiffened.

"Just answer me, damn it," Elijah growled, his arms falling to his sides, his fists clenched into balls.

"Is this a joke? You did end it?" Derek glanced around for anyone who might be in ear shot.

"I ended it?!" Elijah scoffed, "Are you kidding? You cornered me and demanded something I couldn't give."

"All I wanted was you, but that was too high a price, so you ended it."

"I never ended it. You're the one who walked out."

Derek threw his hands up, taking a step back, "Why would I stay? You didn't want me. You never did."

Elijah took in a deep breath before slowly responding, "Derek, I was never disloyal to you. I know you don't believe me, but I wouldn't do that."

"You flirted with everyone in eyeshot," Derek scoffed. He hated having this conversation again. It reminded him of the many late nights they stayed up fighting.

"Flirting is not the same thing as sleeping with them," Elijah's voice rose.

Derek's jaw clenched, "I don't want to have this conversation anymore," he ran a hand over his face and let out a sigh, "I can't believe we're having it right now. What are we fighting for? We're not together anymore. There's nothing left to fight for."

Elijah didn't respond. He ignored the twisting in his stomach at Derek's words. He knew he was right, but he still didn't like to hear it.

"And I would appreciate it if you wouldn't discuss our past relationship with Stiles," Derek fought for the calmness in his tone.

"Do you love him?" Elijah asked, his tone partially accusing.

Derek's lips parted and his brows raised. He gaped at Elijah for a moment before sputtering out a response.

"I-he uh-we're...taking things slow," Derek swallowed the forming lump in his throat.

"So he said," Elijah narrowed his eyes, "I remember you telling me you loved me three months in."

Derek's jaw clenched once again, "I've learned to be more cautious with whom I give my heart."

Elijah's shoulders sunk, "I missed your way with words. You were always such a sweet talker," a gentle smile played at his lips.

Derek remained stiff in his posture; he knew what Elijah was doing. It's how we would always soften Derek up after an argument. Kind words, sad eyes. It worked every time. It always ended with Elijah pulling him into a gentle kiss.

Elijah's eyes slipped down to Derek's mouth. His hand clasped gently around Derek's wrist.

Derek pulled in a sharp breath. Was he going to let Elijah do this? Did he want this? He'd dreamt of kissing Elijah one last time for months after they broke up. But here, now, was he going to give in?

Elijah leaned forward. Pausing only inches from Derek's face, he sighed, "I don't want to fight with you."

He took a step back, releasing Derek.

Derek's jaw clenched so tight it ached. Those words were practically a mantra by the end of their relationship. Elijah would always say them before Derek would storm off. Some things never changed. Except, he hadn't kissed him. That was new. Why hadn't Elijah kissed him? And why was Derek so upset about it?

"Then let's agree to keep this strictly professional, shall we?" Derek snapped, pushing past Elijah. He had to get away from him.

He rounded the corner and pressed a hand to the wall, as if it would keep him together. He shouldn't be upset about Elijah not kissing him. Of course he wouldn't kiss him, he didn't want Derek back. He felt like a fool. 

*AN*
How we feeling about Elijah, guys? Love, hate, both??