Talk to him

Derek hooked his laptop bag over his shoulder and made his way to where Stiles was tapping rapidly at his computer.

"You 'bout done for the night?" Derek asked, his hand clenched tightly around the strap of his bag.

Stiles looked up, startled. "Oh, Derek hey, uh, yeah sort of. I've got some things to sort out and then I'll be heading home probably another hour or so. Why? Did you need something?" he reached for his notebook.

"Uh, the outfits for tomorrow night—"

"They're with Caroline. Gonna pick them up on my way out. I'll drop yours off and leave it with Thomas on my way home." Stiles cut in, finding that any previous annoyance he would have had was nowhere to be found.

"Great. Then I think that's it." Derek nodded.

"Okay." Stiles pushed his notebook aside.

When Derek didn't immediately leave, Stiles raised a brow.

"Is there something on your mind?"

Derek swallowed. "I have plans to have dinner with Alaric. I..." he took in a breath." want to be more transparent with you."

A familiar warmth filled Stiles' chest.

"That's great. I know you two haven't really had a chance to talk much lately." He smiled.

Derek frowned. "You don't mind?"

"Not at all. Why would I?"

Derek dropped his chin to his chest.

"Right." Stiles pursed his lips, trying not to be upset by the comparison.

"I don't mean to assume, I just—"

"It's okay," Stiles cut in, "I get it."

Derek nodded, his eyes meeting Stiles' again.

"Breakfast in the morning?" Stiles asked, a warm smile on his lips.

"Uh, I should be home around...nine. Ric has to get back to finish grading papers before tomorrow's class. If you..." Derek rubbed the back of his neck. His eyes darted to the hall as if expecting someone to be there. "If you bring the outfit around then, maybe we can have a drink? Allow me to apologize for—" he gestured aimlessly.

Stiles' brows rose. "There's really no apology necessary but yeah, that sounds great."

Derek deflated with relief. "Okay. I'll see you later then."

"Tell Ric I said hi."

Derek couldn't help the smile that pulled at his lips. Any discussion about Alaric always turned into a fight with Elijah. It was nice that Stiles genuinely seemed happy that he was spending time with his best friend.

Once Derek was out of sight, Stiles scrambled for his phone, quickly typing a message to Alaric.

"Please don't say anything. I'm begging you."

A few moments later he got a response.

"I wouldn't do that, it's not my place. But you should tslk to him."

Stiles stared at the words. Comments from the other members of the team pulled at his memory. The nervous shifting of Derek's stance when inviting him over later made his chest swell with hope. Maybe there was something there.

-

Derek tapped his fingers on the table. Alaric was staring at him with a pointed look.

"I didn't keep it from you," Derek huffed finally.

"I don't care about you keeping things from me, I care that you're doing things that you feel the need to keep from me. That means on some level you know you shouldn't be doing them."

"I didn't say I was proud of it."

"How did Stiles take it?" Alaric asked. He hadn't actually asked when he'd called in the middle of the night.

"Too well."

"Meaning?"

"He was understanding. He's always so patient with me. Which is a shocker because a month ago he was the furthest thing from patient with me. I was certain he hated me." Derek watched the condensation trickle down the side of his water glass.

"Well you were also an ass towards him if I remember correctly," Alaric pointed out.

"I had my reasons." Derek glared at Alaric.

Alaric let out a sigh, sitting back in his chair. "So now that you've let him close..."

"It's as bad as I thought It'd be. I can't stop thinking about him. I want to be near him all the time. I look forward to breakfast with him. I mean, I showed up at his door drunk off my ass and then I kissed him before passing out on his couch." Derek ran a hand over his face.

"You kissed him." Alaric feigned ignorance.

"Yeah, then I told him it was because I missed Elijah."

"Derek," Alaric chided. He tossed his hands up.

"I backtracked later and ended up confessing that it was because he made me feel safe."

Alaric's jaw went slack. He had not expected Derek to admit that to him.

"Is that true?"

Derek only glared at his best friend.

"Derek, I know you're terrified of an Elijah repeat but I really think Stiles is good for you." Alaric leaned forward, a desperation to his tone.

"He's dating me for time off, remember? Not for some hidden feelings he had squirreled away."

Alaric rolled his eyes, "You treat him differently now. He took care of you while you were drunk when he could have stuck you back in a cab. You feel safe with him because he made you feel that way. You fell for him within a few months of hiring him. There's something about him that you like. He's a genuine guy. And I can say that, having met him. I never liked Elijah, not before you dated him, and definitely not after. I like Stiles."

Derek ran a hand over his face. He wanted Alaric to be right.

"Talk to him, tell him how you feel and if he doesn't feel the same way...I'll be here. Just like I was with Elijah."

"I don't think I can survive feeling like that again."

"Is that why you went to dinner with Elijah? To find the courage? To find proof that you were good enough?"

Derek closed his eyes.

"Derek, I've told you, one person's opinion does not decide your worth. Juciest peach and all that."

Derek set a glare on Alaric.

"And for the record, I think Stiles loves peaches."

Derek rolled his eyes, but his jaw clenched. If that were true, wouldn't he know? Wouldn't Stiles be jealous of Elijah and Alaric?

Alaric saw the struggle on Derek's face. His heart broke when he saw the familiar walls sliding into place.

Once they had paid for dinner and parted ways, Alaric sent Stiles one last text.

"He'll never make the first move, you have to be the one to do it."

*AN*
Next chapter is gonna be a good one! 😊