Before he broke me

Stiles woke earlier than he normally would because he was sure whatever conversation he and Derek were going to have couldn't be done at breakfast. He left Derek a note with a towel telling him how to operate the shower. He also pulled the backup suit from his jeep that he kept on hand for emergencies.

He managed to sneak out without waking Derek. He debated what he was going to say to Derek when he finally woke, but he had no clue. There wasn't a rule book on what to do or say when your fake boyfriend slash boss shows up drunk at your front door and then kisses you.

Derek didn't initiate kisses. That one had been effortless as if it was the most natural thing for Derek to do.

When Stiles arrived back home with coffee and breakfast, Derek was sitting on the couch. His hair was damp and his outfit fresh.

"I see you found my note," Stiles said. Setting down the bag of breakfast and the coffee.

"Yes, thank you," Derek said from the couch. He'd folded and placed the blanket neatly on the arm of the couch. He looked as put together as he ever did. No signs of a drunken night sleeping on someone else's couch.

"How are you feeling?" Stiles dared ask.

Derek glared up at Stiles. "Like an idiot, how do you think?"

Stiles rolled his eyes. "I meant your hangover."

"Nothing I can't handle." Derek reached for the coffee Stiles had set in front of him.

"I have Advil," Stiles offered.

"I'm fine."

"Clearly," Stiles scoffed.

Derek's jaw clenched. "I'm sorry about last night—"

"Why?" Stiles cut in. He didn't know why he was annoyed. Maybe because he didn't want to hear Derek's excuses for needing him. Didn't want Derek to try and backtrack like he did anytime Stiles got even a little bit close.

Derek once again glared at him.

"What exactly are you sorry about? Going to dinner with Elijah? Showing up drunk on my door? Falling asleep on my couch?"

"All of it," Derek snapped, setting his coffee down.

"Why?" Stiles threw his hands up.

"I made a mistake. I never should have shown up here."

"You needed a friend," Stiles spoke as if he was challenging Derek to disagree.

"We're not friends," Derek snapped again.

"Oh? Then I guess next time I won't nurse your drunk ass and then get you breakfast the next morning." Stiles crossed his arms over his chest as he stared down at Derek. He ignored the disappointment Derek's words caused.

Derek was glaring at Stiles, but he didn't back down. He wasn't going to let Derek push him away, not this time.

"Why did you?" Derek asked, his tone quieter, like he was afraid of the answer.

"Well I thought it's cause we're friends, but I guess I was wrong." Stiles snatched his coffee and headed for the kitchen to get Derek's Advil.

"Wait." Derek caught Stiles' wrist as he tried to pass.

"I'm sorry."

"You keep saying that."

"I didn't mean to upset you. I appreciate you taking care of me. I'm just embarrassed."

"Embarrassed about what exactly?"

Derek stood, releasing Stiles' wrist. "Showing up belligerent at your front door."