Yes sir

The tall glass building towered over Stiles as he stood at the entrance. He had ten minutes before he needed to be in Stefan's office on the tenth floor. He had practiced what he'd say the whole way here. He had gotten odd looks at the dry cleaners when he'd stood in line talking to himself. What he'd come up with was that there was a misunderstanding and he wasn't interested in taking the position.

Straightening the tie he'd thrown on hurriedly in his car two minutes ago, he forced his feet forward.

The lobby was mostly empty with the typical nine to fivers having already left for the day.

"Hello, can I help you?" The large balding security guard asked, brushing away bagel crumbs from his beard.

Stiles fought a grimace as he watched them fall between the letters on the keyboard in front of him.

"He's with me," Stefan's voice spoke from behind Stiles.

Stiles knew he was an anxious person, but the way his heart hammered in his chest was too much even for him.

"Sir." Stiles stuck his hand out.

Stefan took it and nodded toward the empty cafe on the other end of the lobby. "I was thinking we could have this conversation over a coffee, I don't know about you but I could use the caffeine."

Stiles was almost certain caffeine would put him into tachycardia but he wasn't about to say no to Stefan Salvatore. "Sounds great."

"Perfect." Stefan smiled and Stiles tried desperately to find any clue as to how this conversation was going to go.

Stefan took a seat at a table in the center of the room. Stiles glanced to the one barista, who was wiping down the counter, before following suit.

"So, while we wait..." Stefan clasped his hands together on the table.

Stiles didn't point out that they hadn't actually ordered coffee, instead, he focused on Stefan's body language. So far it only read as professional.

"You've worked for Derek for a year, is that correct?"

"Yes sir."

"How do you like it?"

Stiles tried to keep any confusion off his face. "I rather enjoy it."

"How long have you and Derek been dating again?" Stefan sat back just as the barista set two steaming cups of coffee in front of them.

Stiles reached for his, eagerly. "Six months," He lied as he lifted the cup to his lips. The liquid was hot but sweet. And then-

Stiles coughed. The burn of unexpected alcohol stung the back of his throat.

"I do hope you like cappuccinos," Stefan gave a wide knowing smile.

Stiles cleared his throat and nodded, putting on a smile.

"So this position..." Stefan set his own steaming cup down. "Are you simply wanting to get ahead in the industry, or are you looking for another office?"

Stiles opened his mouth to explain the misunderstanding but then paused. "I'm sorry?"

"You enjoy your current position, yes?"

"Yes."

"Then I just wonder what makes you want to leave it." Stefan stared at him as if he was looking through him.

Stiles huffed out a laugh. He understood now. This wasn't an interview, this was an interrogation.

"Sir, if I may be so bold. Whatever intel you are getting is...skewed. Derek is a wonderful boss, even when he's being particularly irritating. You may think my relationship with him makes me biased. However, I would implore you to acknowledge the turnover rate of his office. If I am not mistaken there have only been four people to leave in the last eight years. One of them retired. One moved back home to take care of their ill mother and the other found a better opportunity elsewhere. Elijah is the only one to leave due to conflict in the office."