Serious

Stiles stood by the long drink table set up at the back of the room. Derek and Elijah were in deep conversation with a designer, discussing the current project. Stiles had excused himself to refill his glass of champagne.

"Bit dull for a party, huh?" Damon asked, stepping up to the table next to Stiles.

"It's a charity event. I don't think they're meant to be terribly exciting," Stiles snorted.

"Still, I'm sure you'd rather be doing anything else on a Friday night." Damon glanced at Stiles as he grabbed a fresh glass of champagne.

"We have plans after."

Damon only hummed.

"Look, if you're here to spy for Elijah or report back to him, you're wasting your time."

Damon's brows rose. "I was simply making conversation."

Stiles gave Damon an incredulous look. "Right. And why is it he invited you?"

Damon glanced down at his newly acquired drink.

"Like I said, wasting your time." Stiles started to make his way back to Derek when Damon caught his wrist.

"I'm not here to spy, I swear."

"Then why did he invite you?"

"First answer me this; Is it serious between you and Hale?"

Stiles glanced over to Derek. Serious wasn't a word he'd use. It was still far too new, but this wasn't a game to him and he knew it wasn't for Derek.

"It is," Stiles answered, a fondness to his tone that he didn't intend.

Damon released Stiles' wrist and cleared his throat.

Stiles turned his attention back to Damon. "I answered you so-" he gestured to Damon.

"I'm supposed to keep you occupied."

Stiles frowned. "Occupied."

"Elijah said he wanted to talk to Derek alone."

Stiles narrowed his eyes. "Why?"

"He didn't say. But he saw my interest in you and thought maybe I could pull your attention." Damon stared down at his glass of champagne in shame.

"You agreed."

"I was hoping it wasn't serious between you two. Like I said the last time I saw you two together, you didn't seem to be getting along."

"Derek and I had our rough spots in the beginning," Stiles said.

"What is it about him? He seems like kind of an ass."

Stiles scoffed a laugh. "Yeah, but it's a mask. He tries to keep people at bay because of...well, he and Elijah had a bit of a rough breakup. But when you get to know him, he's caring, sweet. And can actually be a lot of fun."

Damon gave a small smile. "You seem pretty smitten."

"Honestly, I am. We're taking things slow, for obvious reasons, but he's really something special." Stiles looked to Derek again. The warmth he'd grown used to was swirling in his chest.

"Well, I do apologize, for my part in whatever Elijah is trying to do."

"I think he's jealous. I don't know why. He had Derek. Derek was ready to marry him and he said no. Why does he want him now?"

"You know, there's a saying you want what you can't have? There's also a saying, you don't know what you got until it's gone."

Stiles took in a slow breath. "Which one do you think it is?"