Only a year

Elijah leaned back in the cheap plastic chair that sat at the head of the conference table. The back two legs wobbled under the support of his weight. The soles of his designer wingtips scuffed the glass surface as he crossed his feet.

Derek held his tongue as he stood behind his ex. Elijah knew Derek hated when he did that.

"This isn't your grandma's house," Stiles snapped, swiping Elijah's feet off the table, sending the raised legs of the chair slamming to the floor.

Elijah's brows rose as he looked at Stiles in disbelief.

Derek pulled in a breath. Elijah, while charming and seemingly kind, didn't take well to being manhandled or scolded.

Stiles crossed his arms, "That's right, my conference room, my rules."

Elijah, without breaking eye contact with Stiles, pulled out a patterned red silk pocket square.

"My apologies," He reached over and wiped the scuff his shoes had created.

"Seriously?" Derek scoffed. He narrowed his eyes at Elijah. But he was ignored in favor of giving Stiles a respectful nod.

Before Stiles could question him, the team filed in around the table.

Tension pulled at the seams of the room, threatening Derek's tenuous composure.

"Wow, you managed to keep over half the team," Elijah said, his eyes scanning the room.

Derek's jaw clenched.

"I think there's only four of you I don't know. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Elijah Mikaelson, fashion editor at your service," Elijah bowed his head.

"We have a fashion editor already," Ethan crossed his arms, an unimpressed expression on his face.

"And I'm sure he's filled my absence well," Elijah gave a tight smile. "I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting."

"Obviously," Ethan muttered loud enough for Elijah to hear.

"Ethan," Stiles said, trying to hold back a smirk, "That's Ethan, fashion and beauty assistant."

"Ah, so we'll be working very closely. I hope I can earn your trust as my replacement has."

"The others you haven't met," Derek cleared his throat, "Erica, our features editor. Scott, our digital editor. And Isaac, our beauty editor."

"Erica, Scott, Isaac," Elijah repeated as if committing the names to memory.

"You worked here?" Isaac asked, glancing between Derek and Stiles.

"I did, though it's been a while," Elijah smiled.

"Pretty sure it was only a year ago," Malia pointed out with a roll of her eyes.

"Only a year? Derek has it only been a year since we broke up? I was sure it was longer," Elijah turned to a falsely stoic Derek.

Derek's teeth grit together, "Time flies when you're having fun I guess."

"Oh now, don't be like that. It seems you've been having plenty of fun without me," Elijah waggled his brows at Stiles.

Derek was certain he'd never seen Stiles blush in the year he'd worked for him, and right now his usually pale cheeks were brightly flushed.

"So are these unnecessary introductions over? Because I have work to do," Lydia huffed, her arms crossing over her chest.

"Ah, strawberry, you haven't changed a bit," Elijah grinned, his eyes falling to the redhead. "But, I do believe we're done here."

Derek's eyes shot to Lydia. He had forgotten Elijah's nickname for her. The fire in her eyes made it known that she still hated it.

"I wasn't asking you," Lydia pursed her lips in disdain. She turned her gaze to Derek.

"Yeah, go," Derek waved a dismissive hand. The team filed back out.

That could have gone worse. But like with most things involving Elijah, it could have gone better.

As the room emptied, the tension only seemed to thicken.

"Great team you got here," Elijah turned his attention to Derek.

"I know."

"I don't think Ethan likes me very much," Elijah hummed, his eyes glancing through the glass walls to where Ethan was shooting daggers in his directions.

"Well, you are replacing his husband for the foreseeable future," Stiles pointed out.

"Ah, yeah that'll do it."

"If you'll excuse me, I have several calls to make," Stiles tossed Derek a glance, that he couldn't place, before slipping from the room.

"So did Mr. Salvatore send you the file?" Elijah stood, tugging the wrinkles from his suit.

"I was about to check when you arrived," Derek gestured for Elijah to go out the door ahead of him.

"I'm actually quite excited about this piece. I know you're less than thrilled about working together again. I must say, it was a shock, however I think we'll put this awkwardness behind us in a jiffy."

Derek rolled his eyes but didn't respond as he followed Elijah down the hall.

They approached Stiles' desk as he put his phone down. He was scribbling in his notebook, not bothering to look up.

Elijah, as he walked by, knocked on Stiles' desk, "Don't forget dinner's on me."

Stiles paused, his pen abandoning its strokes.

"I'm sorry what?" Derek halted, his eyes darting between Elijah and Stiles.

Elijah turned, an innocent expression on his face. "Stiles and I are going out tonight. He didn't tell you?"

Derek looked to Stiles for an explanation. Surely Elijah was making assumptions.

"I uh...was going to tell you," Stiles grimaced at the utter betrayal on Derek's face.

"When?" Derek grit out.

"Oh I'm sorry. Is that inappropriate, Derek? He said you wouldn't mind," Elijah's innocent demeanor grated on Derek's nerves.

"What are you playing at," Derek snapped. It was bad enough he had to be around Elijah, but now Elijah was going after Stiles?

"Whoa, calm down, it's just dinner. I want to get to know him better. He's your number one guy, right? Everything goes through him. I was always close with Parrish," Elijah held up his hands in mock surrender.

"I'm aware of how close you and Parrish were," Derek growled.

"Derek, if you're that upset by it, you can come with," Stiles suggested. His heart was hammering in his chest. He didn't know how to handle Derek's jealousy. He was supposed to be head over heels in love with Derek, not antagonistic, which is the only way he knew how to be with Derek.

"You haven't changed a bit," Elijah tsked, shaking his head at Derek.

"I don't have a problem with you two going to dinner, I would just like to be made aware of such plans," Derek spoke through clenched teeth.

Elijah raised a doubtful brow, "You shouldn't be so mistrusting."

Derek only glared.

Elijah continued to Derek's office.

"I seriously meant to tell you," Stiles looked up at Derek with apologetic eyes.

"We'll talk about this later," Derek nodded to Stiles' ringing phone.

Stiles wanted to make a snide remark about being in trouble but held his tongue. He had to be careful. He had to be in love with Derek. The thought left his stomach in knots.

*AN*
Just a bit of drama for you.