Fighting

The soft click of Derek's door closing behind Stiles nearly brought Derek to his knees. He knew he wasn't alone, Lydia and Stiles were just outside his office. He desperately wanted to just break down, pour himself a strong drink, but he couldn't. He had to keep it together.

A gentle tap on his door as it was pushed open made him straighten.

"Derek." Lydia's voice was gentle.

Derek gestured for her to enter. He didn't trust his voice.

Lydia pursed her lips as she debated what to say. She had never been close with Derek but she knew him pre Elijah. She watched him take his seat behind his desk.

"I'm sure you don't want to talk about it, and we don't have to but... Stiles really cares for you."

Derek looked up at her with a look she hadn't seen on his face in a long time. Hurt.

"I know," he said so quietly she almost didn't hear.

Lydia gingerly sat in the chair opposite Derek. "I don't know everything, but I do know that Stiles doesn't get jealous or bitter easily. Whatever Elijah did, it hurt Stiles too."

Derek bowed his head, his hands clasped together to keep them from shaking.

"Everyone talks to you," Derek said quietly, his eyes trained on his hands in his lap. "Do you know what his motive is?"

"While most everyone in this office talks to me, Elijah is not one of them."

A gentle tap on his door made Derek's head snap up.

Lydia turned to see Elijah.

Panic and Anger swirled within Derek.

Elijah pushed the door open, not waiting for permission. "Derek, can I have a word—"

"Absolutely not," Lydia snapped, standing.

Elijah's jaw clenched. "Derek—"

"Listen here you parasitic—"

"Lydia." Derek stood, reaching a hand to calm the redhead.

Lydia turned, with narrowed eyes, to Derek.

"I know I shouldn't but I need to know," Derek said quietly.

"Fine, but I'm not leaving." Lydia reclaimed her seat, her arms and legs crossing stubbornly.

"I would really like to speak with you alone—"

"She stays," Derek snapped.

Elijah took a deep breath. "Very well. I wanted to check on you. See how you were doing after—"

"Don't." Derek held up a hand. He knew talking to Elijah was a bad idea. He was manipulative and charming. But he needed to understand. Why was Elijah continuing to ruin his life?

Elijah's jaw clenched.

"I should commend you..." Derek spoke stoically despite the panic he was feeling. "You had me convinced. Talking to Stiles about the position so he was aware. Bringing Damon to the charity event. Filling out the form and leaving it on his desk for me to find. You really knew how to sew the doubt."

Elijah stayed quiet.

"It almost worked. I was ready to break up with Stiles. But see you made a mistake. You didn't account for Stiles. He's nothing like you. He knew you were manipulating me. And instead of blaming me or accusing me like I'm guessing you expected him to. He fought for me. He refused to let what you said and did come between us. And he didn't get mad that I did."