Concern

Derek gathered his books and files that were scattered amongst the meeting room table. He ignored where Elijah was propped against the wall watching him.

"We still make a pretty good team," Elijah said.

Derek didn't respond as he scooped his belongings into his arms.

"Do you ever miss it?" Elijah asked, causing Derek to pause.

"Miss what exactly?"

"Having me here. Despite our personal relationship, we worked well together."

"I'm satisfied with my team," Derek responded. He avoided Elijah's eyes as he made his way towards the door.

"I miss it." Elijah's tone was too sincere to be lying.

Derek once again didn't respond as he walked down the hall towards his office. Elijah was on his heels.

"Come on, you're gonna tell me you don't miss how we bounce off each other? How well we know each other?" Elijah followed Derek into his office.

Derek set his books down harsher than he intended. The muted slam didn't go unnoticed by Elijah.

"Perhaps there was a time when I missed it. But that time has passed," Derek grit out.

"Of course. You replaced me." Elijah gave a tight smile.

Derek glared at Elijah. "Don't do that."

"I'm just stating a fact."

The innocent shrug that Elijah gave him made Derek's jaw clench.

Derek bent his head as he sifted through the files from their meeting. He wouldn't let Elijah goad him into whatever argument he was trying to start.

The sound of footsteps approaching was a relief to Derek. He'd grown used to Stiles being around and the crinkle of a bag alongside the welcoming footsteps was familiar.

"Stiles, perfect timing, I'm starv—" Derek's words faltered as he raised his head. His heart dropped at the sight of Alaric standing behind Stiles.

"Ric." Derek swallowed the nerves in his tone before clearing his throat and opting for a more stern one. "What are you doing here?"

"I know, I know, you don't like surprise visits at work, but I had some time this afternoon and you've been..." Alaric tossed a glance at Elijah. "Busy."

Elijah wore a smirk as he turned to Derek's best friend "Alaric." His tone was dripping with honey.

Alaric straightened his shoulders and set a glare on Elijah. "Mikaelson." His own tone venomous.

"Okay," Stiles chimed in, setting Derek's lunch on his desk. "Elijah, why don't we leave them to catch up a bit. I got you lunch as well."

Elijah didn't respond as he followed Stiles out of the room, leaving Derek and Alaric alone.

Derek was only sort of glad that Stiles closed the door behind him. On the one hand, the privacy would be needed. On the other hand, that gave Alaric the freedom to rip into Derek. Which is why, Derek assumed, Ric was here.

"Stiles is nice." Alaric started as he made his way towards the chair opposite Derek.

"I was going to call you back, I've just been—"

"Been what?" Alaric cut in sharply. "Drinking? Spending time with Elijah?"

Derek, who hadn't bothered to take his seat, glared at Alaric.

"I have been avoiding spending time with him actually, but I appreciate the vote of confidence."

"Then why are you avoiding me?"