He knew

The busy sounds of Canal Road did nothing to drown out the tiny voice in Derek's head, telling him that being here was a bad idea. He knew what Elijah was like and he wasn't in the mood to deal with it.

"Hey, you with me here?" Stiles whispered, pressing in close to Derek's shoulder as they neared the restaurant door.

"Physically? Yes," Derek fidgeted with the small silver cufflink clipped to the bottom of his sleeve, twisting the monogramed H in a circle between his finger and thumb.

"Look, I need you to get it together. You need to act like you want to be here," Stiles hissed, his eyes searching for Elijah in the crowd of people as they entered the dimly lit building.

"I don't want to be here, that's the point," Derek hissed back through a fake smile he was now flashing the host.

"How many?" The young blonde man asked with a polite smile.

"They're with me," Elijah leaned in between the pair, his arms wrapping around their shoulders.

Derek stiffened under Elijah's touch. He hadn't realized he was so close.

"Ah, Mr. Michaelson, your table is ready, follow me," The man's smile grew into a wide grin.

Stiles slipped his hand into Derek's as they followed the host to the table.

Derek's hand was stiff in Stiles'.

"Can we get a bottle of your finest please?" Elijah asked the host as he pulled out one chair for Stiles and then another for Derek before sitting next to Derek, across from Stiles.

"I'll let your waiter know," The host gave a nod.

Stiles and Derek sat, exchanging a silent look.

"Why such a nice bottle? We aren't celebrating anything," Derek clasped his hands nervously in his lap.

"Darling, you know I'll turn anything into a celebration," Elijah grinned, as he set his currently empty wine glass closer to the edge of the table.

Stiles didn't miss the way Derek's jaw clenched at the pet name. No doubt one Elijah had used when they were dating.

"And what could we possibly be celebrating? I was under the impression this was a dinner to get to know me," Stiles pointed out.

"Are you not to be celebrated?" Elijah grinned, his eyes not leaving Stiles as he laid his napkin in his lap.

"Only one day a year, and that day is not today," Stiles gave an unamused look. His arms crossing on the edge of the table.

"Hmm, I'm beginning to see what Derek sees in you," Elijah gave a curt smile.

Derek saw that Stiles was about to question him and he was not in the mood to delve into that.

"So how was your first day at the office?" Derek asked, forcing a topic change.

"Not much has changed. A few people, but otherwise, not much. It felt like...being home," Elijah frowned down at the menu now in his hand.

"Don't get too comfortable. I much prefer Jackson to you," Derek glared at Elijah. If he could just get a read on him. Figure out what his motives were.

"You wound me," Elijah put a hand over his chest with a false look of betrayal.

Derek rolled his eyes.

"but worry not, your editor will be back in his office soon enough."

A silence fell over the table as a bottle of wine was brought over and poured in each glass.