Needed to know

The pedestrians that walked the busy streets didn't pay any mind to Derek, who was leaning against the wall outside of the restaurant he was supposed to meet Stiles at. His phone was pressed to his ear, and the bridge of his nose pinched between his fingers.

"So you talked to him despite Stiles asking you not to?" Alaric's tone was only mildly accusing.

"I needed to know why," Derek sighed.

"You needed to know why your ex lied and manipulated you into breaking up with your current boyfriend?"

"I didn't break up with Stiles."

"But you were going to."

Derek was silent.

"Well, what did you find out?" Alaric sighed, putting his disappointed friend voice away.

Silence lingered.

"Derek?" Alaric asked, his tone growing more worried and more accusing.

"He proposed," Derek muttered.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"He said he realized he made a mistake and that he wanted to marry me," Derek repeated, louder and with a huff.

"That motherfucker," Alaric swore.

"I don't know how I'm going to tell Stiles." Derek ran his hand through his hair, glancing around. Stiles would be there soon and he was panicking.

"Tell him what exactly? That you spoke to your ex when he asked you not to or that your ex proposed to you?"

"Not helping, Ric," Derek growled.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," Alaric apologized. "I think you should just be honest with him. He seems like the understanding type."

"Yeah, but he specifically said he didn't want Elijah around me. What if he blows up? What if I fucked this up? I mean, I was so pissed at him earlier, thinking he'd done the things Elijah had said. What if he thinks I'm not worth it? What if he thinks that I can't be trusted?"

"Derek, breath," Alaric said calmly. "I don't know Stiles well, but I know that's not who he is."

Derek scanned the sidewalk to see that Stiles had just rounded the corner.

"Shit, he's here, I gotta go."

"Text me later."

Derek ended the call as Stiles approached. "Hey, that was Ric."

Stiles frowned but nodded. "I'm guessing you caught him up on everything?"

Derek only nodded.

Stiles glanced to the restaurant door and then back to Derek. "I thought you'd get us a table."

"Uh, actually..." Derek straightened his shoulders. "Could we maybe just go for a walk? I don't have much of an appetite." He gestured to the park across the street.

Stiles nodded. "Sure."

The pair walked in silence to the entrance of the park. It was mostly empty at this hour. A few evening joggers, and a couple with their dog.

Stiles followed Derek to a picnic table where they sat side by side. Neither one said a word. Stiles could practically feel the discomfort on Derek. Hoping to melt it away, he leaned over.

Derek pulled away before Stiles could connect their lips. He stood to his feet, running a hand along the back of his neck. "What uh...how did it go with Stefan?"

Stiles' heart dropped. Why was Derek pulling away from him?

"It was okay. Stefan can be intense."

Derek gave a huff of agreement.