What's stopping you?

When Derek heard the soft click of his front door, he closed his eyes and tried to will the tears away. The more he fought them the harder they pushed. Anger curled in his gut like a gnarled hand refusing to let go. He swung out, his fist connecting with his empty wine glass, shattering it to the floor. Staring down at the broken shards, the tears finally won.

He dropped to his knees to gather the pieces, but his vision was too blurred by his tears. He couldn't do anything but let them fall. Digging in his pocket for his phone, he dialed Alaric's number. He couldn't do this alone.

He picked up on the third ring.

"Ric," Derek whimpered into the phone. His hand gripped it like it was a lifeline.

"What's wrong?"

Derek wiped at the still-falling tears. "I fucked up. I tried to talk to him but I couldn't. He...I think he...I don't know. He said things."

"He made the first move?" Alaric asked, an unbelievable lilt to his tone.

"Yeah. I think so. It was very...it was like he was asking me without asking me, ya know? And I froze up. I just kept remembering what it felt like to lose Elijah and..." Derek's hand clawed at the floor, pressing glass into the tips of his fingers. But he couldn't bring himself to care.

"What happened?"

"I gave in, for just a second, but then I panicked. He was so understanding. He's always so understanding." Derek grit out. The tears had subsided, leaving only his anger.

"Derek," Alaric's tone was sympathetic.

"I love him, Ric."

"Tell him. He clearly feels similarly, right?"

"He told me he cared about me. More than he ever thought he would."

"Sounds like he's trying not to scare you away."

Derek closed his eyes. How was Stiles so great? And why was he such a mess that he couldn't appreciate it? "I don't know what to do." He whispered.

"I can't tell you what to do. But I can tell you that you will regret not going for it. Stiles is not Elijah."

"I know." Derek had learned very early on, how not alike Stiles and Elijah were.

"Where is he now?"

"He left to give me space."

Alaric gave a gentle chuckle. "Sounds like he opened the door, he's just waiting for you to walk through, or slam it in his face. Which one do you want?"

"It's not that simple, Ric," Derek snapped. He brushed his hand along his knee. Tiny shards of glass fell over his slacks as he stood.

"I didn't ask which you were going to do. I asked which one you wanted. If Elijah didn't exist. If you were just focusing on how you felt about Stiles, which one would you want?"

"The former."

"So what's stopping you?"

"You know what's stopping me," Derek growled out. Alaric was always the voice of reason and sometimes it was great, and sometimes it felt like an unnecessary puzzle.

"Do you still have feelings for Elijah?"

"No," Derek snapped. "I mean, a part of me may always love him, but I don't want to be with him. I don't miss him anymore."

"Do you think Stiles is like Elijah?"

"No. He's the complete opposite."

"Then what's stopping you?" Alaric repeated.